Competent Person Training for Small Businesses- Prescott
Friday, August 22, 2014 from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM (MST)
Arizona 811 and Arizona Utility Contractors Association (AZUCA) will be offering “Excavation Safety & Competent Person” training free of charge to small businesses as defined by either the City of Phoenix or the City of Tucson. Registration is required as seating is very limited (Maximum of three people per company). The training will be held at the UniSource Energy Services facility in Prescott and be conducted by SCEDS.
SCEDS Education Trench Excavation class offers practical training on the expanded skills required to meet OSHA standards of a Competent Person for excavations. SCEDS instructors have over 29 years of experience in excavation, construction and safety.
Synopsis of Excavation Safety / Competent Person Training
Certain activities or safety procedures at a construction site require design, inspection or supervision by a competent person. The OSHA Construction Standard defines a competent person as someone who is:
- capable of identifying existing and predictable hazards in the surroundings, or
- working conditions which are unsanitary, hazardous, or dangerous to employees, and
- who has authorization to take prompt corrective measures to eliminate them.
Trenching and excavation work is dependent on these specialized employees because its highly technical nature, as well as its inherent hazards, require a greater level of training and experience than a normal worker would possess.
Each student will receive a 100+ pages of take home material including OSHA Standards for future reference.
- Identify unsafe working conditions related to excavations
- Identify underground facilities and responsibilities
- Requirements for protecting employees
- Requirements for trench inspections
- Employer and employee responsibilities
- Identify appropriate protective systems
- Identify and classify ground conditions and soils
- Responsibilities of a competent person
- OSHA Inspections
- Penalties and Fines
For questions please contact:
Public Services Liaison
***Attendees are expected to honor their RSVP. This is a FREE event, however, RSVPs who do not cancel at least 72 hours in advance and fail to attend will be billed $30 due to training expenses.