Community Service Center Nonprofit Expo
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM (EST)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
INFORMATION FOR ORGANIZATIONS ATTENDING THE NONPROFIT EXPO
- This event will be an amazing opportunity for your organization to connect with job and internship-seekers and potential volunteers from throughout New England!
- Please sign up no later than Monday, February 25th at 9AM (registration fee: $75). Space is limited and organizations will be registered on a fist-come first-serve basis.
- For the $75 registration fee, your organization will be placed at a six-foot table with two chairs and a tablecloth, and you will receive meal vouchers for up to two attending representatives.
- On the day of the event, check-in for organizations will open at 10am in the lobby outside Metcalf Hall (George Sherman Union, 775 Commonwealth Ave., 2nd Floor). Representatives should plan to arrive no later than 10:30am to allow for setup.
- Be prepared to answer questions from people looking for jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities at both your local and national offices (if applicable).
- The event is open to both BU students and the public, so inquiries may vary.
- If the $75 registration fee will cause significant hardship for your organization, please contact Chelsea Schwalm, the Community Outreach Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss alternate payment options.
When & Where
Boston University Community Service Center
The Community Service Center
The Community Service Center aims to provide the Boston University community with opportunities to address and improve the critical concerns of Greater Boston; to support and encourage students to make a difference; to serve as a vehicle for personal growth and leadership; to be active and responsible members in neighboring communities; to broaden the scope of the educational experience through service and reflection; and to serve Greater Boston in a meaningful and mutually beneficial way.
The Community Service Center (CSC), originally called “The League” was founded by a group of Boston University students in 1986. These students wanted to address the critical issues facing Boston and started several volunteer programs under the leadership of Marsh Chapel.
By 1989, The League had 17 different programs including FYSOP, The Youth Tutoring Program (now known as Afterschool), Alternative Spring Breaks and Student Food Rescue. Over the years, interest in volunteering continued to grow with programs like Alternative Winter Break and the AIDS Support and Advocacy Program (now known as Project Hope). The League was renamed The Community Service Center in 1991, and moved to its current location on the 4th floor of the George Sherman Union in 1998.
The Community Service Center remains committed to providing the Boston University Community with opportunities to address and improve critical concerns of Greater Boston and beyond. In 2011, the Community Service Center encompassed 4,500 volunteers in 13 programs and one-time events, completing 130,000 hours of service.