Community Meetings: Sequoia Big Picture High School
Thursday, January 23, 2014 from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM (PST)
West Menlo Park, CA
SEQUOIA BIG PICTURE HIGH SCHOOL: COMMUNITY MEETINGS
Please join us for a community event to learn more about the Sequoia Big Picture High School!
1) Bethany Lutheran Church
1095 Cloud Avenue, West Menlo Park
Thursday, January 23, 2014, 7:00 p.m.
2) Fair Oaks Library
2510 Middlefield Road, Redwood City
Monday, February 3, 2014, 7:00 p.m.
Guest speakers: Mario de Anda, Director of Post-Secondary Programs for Big Picture Learning, and representatives from MetWest, a Big Picture High School
The proposed Sequoia Big Picture High School (SBPHS) is an innovative option for students in the Sequoia Union High School District. Founded by a group of committed local community volunteers, and guided by Big Picture Learning, a national non-profit with a proven school model (100 schools across the U.S. and around the world), this school is designed to fully engage students, personalize their education, and help them take responsibility for their learning.
Projected to open in the Fall of 2014, Sequoia Big Picture High School will offer:
- Small School: Personal learning community
- Internships: Real-world experiences make learning relevant
- Advisors: Students work in small groups with teacher/advisors throughout HS
- One Student at a Time: Individual learning based on each student's interests/affinities
- Project-based Learning: Requires critical thinking and in-depth learning