"Continuing Education & Networking Event"
May 28, 2014
6 AIA HSW Hours
2 GBCI CE Hour for LEED Professionals
8:00 AM Registration
Morning pastries and coffee will be provided.
8:30 – 9:30 AM 8:30 - 9:20am verified by DR)
Recycled Content Surfacing Materials: Identifying Value Under LEED and Beyond
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course Number: ICS06C
1 GBCI CE Hour for LEED Professionals | GBCI course ID: 0090009501
AIA Provider: Infospec, Inc.
Presenter: Phillip Devore
This one hour live course describes the importance of recycled content surfaces and their
environmental significance including reducing the use of natural resources and improving indoor
air quality. We will compare and contrast traditional and recycled surfacing materials and explain
the importance of “going beyond green.”
9:40 - 10:40 AM (10:00 - 11:00)
Solving Architectural Noise Problems
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: 003696
AIA Provider: International Cellulose Corporation
Presenter: Chuck Smith
1. Increase awareness of the need for acoustics before occupancy.
2. Dispel the myths about cellulose as a finish product.
3. Visible and Invisible Finishes.
4. Acoustics & Economics - Light Reflectivity, Creature Comforts, Worker
Productivity & Energy Savings.
5. Life Safety Communications.
10:50 - 11:50 AM (11:05 - 12:05)
Roofing Market Trends & Advantages of Fleeceback Membrane & Urethane Adhesives
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | Course: SDT110
Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: Terry Slifer
In this program the participants will learn the physical performance advantages of fleece membranes that enable them to resist the forces of mother nature such as wind, hail, rain, and cold. In addition they will learn the performance advantages of urethane adhesives that eliminate the dependence on solvents with VOCs or asphalt derived from foreign sources of oil. Several re-roofing advantages afforded by fleece membranes will be covered where you can re-use existing roofing systems and minimize landfill waste. Multiple-ply membrane options utilizing highly reflective TPO or extremely weatherable EPDM as the cap sheet will also be covered.
1. Learn the physical performance advantages of fleece membranes that enable them to
resist the forces of mother nature such as wind, hail, rain, and cold.
2. Learn the performance advantages of urethane adhesives that eliminate the
dependence on solvents with VOCs or asphalt derived from foreign sources of oil.
3. Learn about re-roofing advantages afforded by fleece membranes that can re-use
existing roofing systems and minimize landfill waste.
4. Learn about multiple-ply membrane options utilizing highly reflective TPO or extremely
weatherable EPDM as the cap sheet.
12:00 Lunch will be provided
12:30 - 1:30 PM (12:30 - 1:30)
Steep Sloped Premium Stone Coated Metal Roofing Systems
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: IMU07E
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Sponsor: Metals USA
Presenter: Kevin Martin
This course will better inform the designer on how to properly specify stone coated metal
roofing system. Through a thorough review of installation procedures, cost breakdown and
system benefits to any project, the design professional attending this educational presentation
will be able to knowledgably specify a stone coated metal roofing system into their next project.
1. Define stone coated metal.
2. Depict how stone coated metal roofing is manufactured.
3. Explain the benefits of stone coated metal roofing.
4. Describe the installation methods for stone coated metal roofing systems.
5. Discuss how specifying stone coated metal roofing systems may contribute towards a
project earning LEED certification.
6. Describe how stone coated metal roofing systems are energy efficient & Energy Star
7. Explain the cost benefits of stone coated metal roofing systems.
1:40 - 2:40 PM (1:40 - 2:35 pm)
Decorative Hardwood Plywood & Veneer: Beautiful By Nature
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: ICF06B
1 USGBCI Hour for LEED Professionals | Course #: 0090009894
AIA Provider: Columbia Forest Products
Presenter: Richard Poindexter
This course will better inform the architect and designer about decorative hardwood
plywood in terms of its manufacture, uses, types, and sustainable attributes. The architect
and the designer will gain an understanding of the different adhesives and core material
options available, which options are more sustainable, and which options are most commonly
used. Participants will also know what to look for in order to successfully specify decorative
hardwood plywood and how the material can contribute to LEED projects.
1. Discuss the basics of decorative hardwood plywood, how it is manufactured, and its
2. Compare and contrast the different types of cores and adhesives that are used to
manufacture decorative hardwood plywood with an emphasis on urea formaldehyde and
3. Discuss the different types of veneer options offered (including species, grading, and cut).
4. Discuss the questions that need to be asked to successfully specify decorative hardwood
plywood and LEED contribution.
2:50 - 3:50 PM
an Understanding of Polished Concrete
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: AFP1
AIA Provider: CureCrete - AIA Provider #: J550
Presenter: Deke Rife
Today we can give an old worn-out concrete floor “NEW” life through the polishing
and densification process. This course is designed to give an overview of that process,
the marriage of concrete densification of and grinding and polishing concrete with diamonds. “Polished Concrete”.
This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes.
When & Where
CE Academy, Inc.
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.