Designed by experienced Science teachers and funded by the DESE, this innovative and dynamic Pre-AP program provides Science teachers in grades 6-11 with a series of training and comprehensive resources that link skills with the competencies students must acquire if they are to have ready and fair access to true college preparatory and other advanced courses.
The following general courses will be offered, but seat registration is determined by year in program:
Biology - Year 1
All participants receive:
- Four days of outstanding, and eminently practical, professional development
- Instruction in effective pedagogy and specific content where needed
- Multiple resources, including hundreds of activity-based lessons and student skill diagnostics; all resources are aligned to AP and Pre-AP course Standards (and the MA Frameworks) and focused on higher order thinking, problem-solving and application skills
- 30 Content PDPs for the Institute, with participants eligible for 35 additional PDPs after one year's participation in the LTF online professional learning communities
- Opportunity for Graduate Credit
- Invitations to apply to become LTF trainers
- Breakfast and Lunch
About the Great Schools Network
The Great Schools Network (GSN) is a network of MA school districts that are truly committed to college and career readiness for all students.
The Great Schools Network connects member districts and their schools to highly effective college readiness programs, resources, services, and advocacy in a comprehensive approach to permanently raise student achievement in math, science, & English.
Who Can Attend
All Massachusetts teachers from grades 6-12 in biology are welcome to attend.
For More Information
Please go to www.layingthefoundation.org for more information on the training program and
www.massinsight.org for information on the Great Schools Network, which administers the program.
The fee for the Great Schools Network Laying the Foundation Pre-AP* Summer Institute: College-Prep biology is free, thanks to support from the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
We plan to offer graduate credits to those interested. More details will be available soon.
Please contact Lindsay Orlov with questions regarding the Great Schools Network Laying the Foundation Pre-AP* Summer Institute at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*AP, Pre-AP and Advanced Placement are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.