San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
CodeAcross is Code for America’s multi-city civic hacking event that takes place in 50+ locations across the world. Developers, designers, researchers, public servants, policy makers and other concerned citizens work together to improve their communities using the people and power of the web.
The CodeAcross NoVA 2-day event (9am - 5pm Saturday, 9am - 4pm Sunday) will focus on topics and challenges relevant to Northern Virginia municipalities and government offices. The Code for NoVA Brigade is host to several exciting volunteer-government civic project partnerships, all which offer opportunities for beginners and experts alike to get involved and be part of the next movement in open data - "Beyond Transparency."
Learn about, discuss and engage with the exciting civic technology development projects ongoing in Northern Virginia at the CodeAcross NoVA event. Meet local government officials and be inspired by lightning talks about local citizens making a difference in their communities through volunteerism.
AGENDA: Now with lightning talks - sign up below!!
Saturday February 22, 2014:
9:00am-9:45am - Breakfast / Opening Remarks
10:00am - 11:00am - Project Pitches
11:00am - 4:00pm - Breakout/ Brainstorm / Hack (lunch on your own)
4:00pm - 5:00 pm - Lightning Talks session I - sign up to give a talk here.
5:00pm - ?? - Unofficial happy hour - location TBA
Sunday Februrary 23, 2014:
9:00am - 2:00pm - Breakfast / Continue Hacking on Projects (lunch on your own)
2:00pm - 3:00pm - Presentations on worked projects
3:00pm - 4:00pm - Lightning Talks session II - - sign up to give a talk here.
Who Should Attend:
- Technology Integrators
- Project Managers
- Data Geeks
- Communications Enthusiasts
- Public Policy Aficionados
- Anyone who wants to see or create technology to improve local government.
What to Bring:
- Your laptop or tablet
- Information/Data or community projects you would like to share
- An open mind
- Any projects you're currently working on / Github locations (if applicable)
- Twitter / email / IM info (to collaborate with others!)
What We Will Provide:
- Fast Wired and Wireless Internet Access
- Plenty of outlets to plug in all your devices
- Large space for open collaboration
- Beekeeping facts :)
- Breakfast and snacks for both days
- Open Data Project Ideas from:
- Arlington County
- City of Alexandria
- National Science Foundation
CodeAcross NoVA is sponsored by:
Think and plan geographically. As the market leader in geographic information systems (GIS), Esri technology is used in over 350,000 organizations worldwide. Use GIS to collect, manage, and analyze geographic information, helping you solve problems and make better decisions.esri.com
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential. microsoft.com
When & Where
Code for NoVA Brigade
The Code for NoVA Brigade is a volunteer initiative of San Francisco based non-profit, Code for America.
Our mission is to develop and sustain civic technology and open data infrastructure for Northern Virginia and:
- Make it easy for people to code for America.
- Help NoVA communities to adopt modern civic technology.
- Help NoVA communities to adopt open data infrastructure.
- Innovate in ways that improve the sustainability of civic technology and infrastructure.
- Fulfill the overall Code for America mission to “improve the way governments work better for everyone using the people and the power of the web.”
Find us at: http://www.codefornova.org/