San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Clinical Lactation Competencies
Monday, October 14, 2013
9:00am to 4:00pm
Susan Aldana, IBCLC
D. Lisa Bollman, RNC, MSN, CPHQ
Community Perinatal Network
Linda C Goldman DNP, WHNP-BC, FNP, RN, CLE
CSU Dominguez Hills
Denise Parker, BA, IBCLC
In this important one-day seminar we will strive to improve the clinical competencies of L.A.’s lactation support providers by:
- Increasing and applying knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the breastfeeding dyad to assess the breastfeeding problem.
- Increasing the number of assessment driven interventions.
- Recognizing when skills needed are within our scope of practice and when referral is needed.
Throughout the day we will address four clinical lactation problems:
- Early separation that can undermine the mother’s goal of breastfeeding.
- Augmentation, reduction, biopsy & piercings and the post-surgery mother at risk for compromised lactation.
- Unresolved pain beyond correct position and latch.
- Supporting breastfeeding when milk supply is questionable and not increasing.
Following the didactic presentations, participants will be able to:
- Identify three anatomical considerations when assessing breastfeeding problems,
- Identify three clinical lactation interventions based on assessment findings, and to
- Discuss limitations of their scope of lactation practice and identify appropriate professionals to refer to.
Location & Parking
Free parking is available. Metro riders: The California Endowment is located 1-1/2 blocks north of Union Station.
Confirmation by e-mail will be sent to participants providing an e-mail address.
Written cancellations received one week prior to the event will be granted with a $5 fee. No refunds after this date.
Physicians, Registered Nurses, RDs, Nutritionists, Occupational Therapists, CPHWs, Lactation Consultants & Educators, LLL Leaders, Health Educators, Case Managers, Home Visitors, Doulas, Breastfeeding Peer Counselors and others interested in supporting families in the initiation and maintenance of breastfeeding.
Continuing Education Credits
-offered at no additional charge
Nurses: The Community Perinatal Network is an approved provider by the California Board of Registered Nursing. This course offers 6 contact hours of continuing education. CPN’s provider number is CEP 14797. Licensee must maintain certificate for a period of four years.
Lactation Consultants: The Breastfeeding Task Force of Greater Los Angeles is an approved provider by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners. CERP (5L) application will be submitted.
CHES: The National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. designates Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Health Education Administration (LACDPH/HEA) as a provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education (Provider number MEP 2460). Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES) may receive upto 6 Category I CECH for this event.
Registered Dietitians: maintain a copy of the agenda and certificate for CPEs for their Professional Development Portfolio.
Registration includes continental breakfast, lunch, and continuing education credit.
Early bird before 10/07/13 $90
General on or after 10/14/13 & at the door $100
When & Where
BreastfeedLA is dedicated to improving the health and well-being of infants and families through education, outreach, and advocacy to promote and support breastfeeding.
Be the first to know about upcoming events!
Sign-up for our newsletter, The Greater Los Angeles Breastfeeding Bee.