- Seminar is from 8:00 AM -4:30 PM
- Contact hours: 6.75 CE
- A complete handout will be provided as part of the session. You only need to bring writing utensils. Audio taping is permitted. Use of computers and cell phones during the session are not permitted.
- All information provided is copyright protected and may not be reproduced in any way for distribution.
- Lunch and refreshments will be on your own
- No smoking permitted on the property
- Dress in layers for the session since conference rooms can vary in temperature
- For more information you may contact us by e-mail (preferred) or phone
o E-mail: email@example.com
o Phone: 419-305-3043
About the session:
Lab values…lots of numbers to look at and yes, they do all make sense when you know to look for.
Using a physiologic approach you will understand which lab values go together and why the various combinations exist. Expected clinical manifestations and treatment modalities are also included as well as monitoring parameters to know when conditions are improving.
Considerations in the elderly population are also included along with some interfering factors affecting valid lab results.
Lab abnormalities include:
- Identify the lab values, clinical manifestations, and treatment associated with electrolyte imbalances.
- Differentiate between the various renal disorders and the lab values associated with them.
- Identify the abnormal lab values seen in patients with inflammatory, infectious, and cardiovascular disorders.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the lab abnormalities which are diagnostic in patients with disorders of the hematologic system.
- Compare the lab values seen in dysfunctions of the gastrointestinal tract and those associated with evaluation of nutritional status.
- Describe the lab values used in the evaluation of patients with endocrine disorders and cancer.
- Identify important aspects of acid-base physiology.
- Differentiate causes, clinical manifestations, lab values, and treatment modalities between the various acid-base abnormalities.
- Demonstrate the ability to interpret sample ABG problems and case studies.
Recent seminar comments:
“Big time help in understanding the underlying patient problems. Thanks for simplifying so many labs including anion gap and lactate levels!”
“Very good program with lots of good information. The detailed outline will serve as a great reference to go back to.”
“I really needed this refresher. The ABG section was especially good. Thanks!”
“I will never look at values the same way again! Putting them together in groups and reviewing the relationship between them will help me with all my patients in the future.”
Your Instructor: Cynthia M. Liette, MS, APRN, ACNS-BC, CCRN
Ms. Liette has been a nurse for more than 30 years. She has worked in a variety of clinical settings including intensive/ coronary care, emergency room, medical-surgical units, and supervision. She currently works as a Clinical Nurse Specialist in a rural health care system. She has been an educator for practicing nurses, nursing students, and paramedics for more than 25 years while still maintaining a clinical practice. Her numerous seminars consistently receive excellent reviews from all levels of health professionals.
She holds a Master’s Degree from Wright State University in the Clinical Nurse Specialist Adult Health track and is Board Certified as a CNS. She is also an ACLS instructor and is certified in both critical care and trauma nursing.
She is the owner and president of Educational Concepts, LLC. She has authored a successful pharmacology series and has taught a wide variety of subjects including Nurse Refresher and Nurse Internship programs, Critical Care courses, 12-Lead ECG and Rhythm interpretation, IV therapy, and Lab and ABG interpretation, She is also the author of The Pearls for Medical-Surgical Nursing Certification Review course.
She is a member of Sigma Theta Tau - National Nursing Honor Society, National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists and the American Association of Critical Care Nurses.
Educational Concepts, LLC is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Ohio Nurse’s Association (OBN-001-91), an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Educational Concepts, LLC
The description of the company goes here.