Class: How to Build a Puzzle Game
Monday, July 7th at 6 pm
Microsoft offices (Across from Port Authority), 11 Times Square (8th Ave. Between 41st and 42nd Sts.)
Puzzle games are the bread and butter of the mobile world. From Candy Crush Saga to Triple Town, Letterpress to Bejeweled everybody's playing them and they are lighting up the charts. Best of all, you don't need a team of 30 people to make one, you just need a great idea and some code. But if you've ever sat down to make one, you know that half of the work in having a rock solid blueprint to work from. Whehter or not you're a beginner, building a puzzle game can be a lot trickier than you think.
Luckily, Kurt Bieg has done all the hard work for you. Just bring your laptop and your imagination and he'll provide you with everything you need to create a fully functioning match three game that will run on your iOS and Android devices. Creating the match three game will give you the foundation to create all sorts of puzzle-based game types.
Kurt, founder of Simple Machine and puzzle designer extraordinaire is offering a crash course that will teach you how to code your own match 3 puzzle game from scratch. This class will cover everything, from getting started with Corona, to building out the final project to your device.
- Cover the basics: what is a match 3 game and how do they work
- Learn the logic: how do you swap tiles and check for matches
- Infinitely scaleable: make a 2x2 grid or make it 12x12
- Art: sources include links for free art and fonts
- Randomization: Learn the tips and tricks that keep the board randomized and balanced
- Iteration: Get a glimpse at how coding the game will give you a new perspective on how to create the next great puzzle game
- Corona: Break into the most robust 2D cross platform mobile development tool on the market. For PC and Mac.
- Code in hand: leave with a fully working prototype that can be installed on todays mobile platforms
Join us and learn how to build your puzzle empire!
Kurt Bieg is the founder of Simple Machine, a game company in NYC. He has made a bunch of smash hit puzzle games for mobile devices, accumulating over half a million downloads. He is always pioneering new trends while crafting extraordinary experiences. Titles include:
- Circadia, a music rhythm puzzler, featured by Apple and selected as Starbucks App of the Week
- Tomb Breaker, an ingenious new take on match three featured by Apple
- 4 Thrones, a minimalist redesign of the classic solitaire
- Even Up, a number sliding puzzle in the vein of sudoku
- LEX, an innovative, intense word-building game
Seats are limited. Visit us at gmsfrm.com
Autodesk -- Making games? Use Maya LT, the most cost-effective 3D tool for professional indie game makers. Maya LT makes it easier to create striking 3D characters and environments to bring your game to life.
Millennial Media, the leading independent mobile advertising and data platform powering the app economy. Maximize revenue with powerful tools at mMedia.
Qualcomm, the leader in mobile technology innovation, is uniquely positioned to help developers push the boundaries of mobile gaming.
When & Where
Playcrafting empowers the game development community through education, networking and collaboration. We offer workshops, classes and events for game developers and those aspiring to make games in topics including game design, programming, art, business and more.