San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Chipmunk Woodworkers Workshop
Weekends are traditionally designed for special moments to explore the world around us. It is a time to be creative, to build, to grow, to reflect, as well as exchange within our community.
(courtesy of the VA Bluebird Society)
The Chipmunk Woodworkers Workshop is a weekend project-based program, which offers space for young people to explore their creative imagination, discovering their natural talents, while learning practical skills for years to come.
Working with wood fosters self-confidence, creates a sense of accomplishment, as well as develop problem-solving skills, and much more.
Our goal is learning while on the journey toward self-expression.
Chipmunk Woodworkers Workshop is for young people ages 10 and older, of all skillsets. We support and encourage young girls to participate in the program.
Size and Cost:
Each class will consist of no more than 5 students at a time. This is a free program open to the public.
What to expect:
Each session will begin with learning how to use the basic tools of the trades while advancing toward our final grand project.
Over the next 4-5 Saturdays we will build your very own toolbox, as well as complete our final grand project. The grand project is a community service project, which will be shared with the general public. For instance, we will build free libraries, community garden benches, planters for elderly centers, etc.
Week 1: (Intro for students)
- What is woodworking?
- Can you identify any WOOD products in your home?
- What are the 4 essential items in woodworking?
- Identify the basic items in a woodworker's toolbox
- Demonstrate how to use the following (students participate)
- o Hammer
- o Brace drill
- oBuild Cross Box (its function is to cut a straight board)
- Construct Toolbox (pre-cut parts for students to assemble)
- o Students will label each part
- o Assemble, sand, and paint
- Begin Construction of final project (review design, materials, and steps involved in building)
- o Cut, mark, and sand parts
Week 4 & 5
- Assemble and paint project
- Install, and SHOW & TELL