Idlewild’s language courses are fun and practical, and have been named "Best of New York" by New York Magazine.
Our Chinese classes are taught in our beautiful store, not a stuffy classroom, by Vicky Juan, a native Mandarin speaker with several years’ experience teaching Mandarin Chinese to Americans, both privately and at schools in New York.
Is this class for you?
This course is designed for people with zero background in Chinese. The class focuses on practical and everyday Mandarin while immersing you in both the language and culture.
In this class you will learn to:
- Introduce yourself and greet people in Mandarin Chinese
- Tell people simple facts about yourself
- Pronounce and recognize common Chinese characters
- Understand and communicate in real-life situations, such as ordering food, shopping, making conversation with new friends, and more!
By the end of 8 weeks, you will be able to say and recognize 40 characters, which enables you to form 2500 words and phrases in Mandarin Chinese.
About the method
Our Chinese course is taught using a revolutionary easy-to-use language program called ChineseCUBES. Designed for beginners of all ages, ChineseCUBES are designed to enable students to learn Chinese character by character at home on their computers. The cubes are combined with in-class teacher instruction to help students learn Chinese 50% faster than other methods.
Each set of ChineseCUBES contains 40 cubes, each with a different Chinese character. When placed in front of the computer, these cubes teach students how to:
- Write the character, showing an animation of how it is correctly written
- Hear it pronounced in native Mandarin, allowing students to build their listening skills and practice pronunciation
- See it translated into English
- Learn how to combine the characters into meaningful words and phrases
Here is a video showing how ChineseCUBES work:
About this course
- This course is 8 weeks long and will meet for 90 minutes per session.
- The cost of this course is $370 -- $295 for the course and $75 for the ChineseCUBES. (The cubes are discounted 50% off their regular price of $150.)
- Class size is limited to 15 people.
- There are no make-up classes. On the first day of class, each student will receive a syllabus that lists the weekly assignments so you can keep up with your studies if you have to miss a class.
If you wish to cancel your registration, you must contact Idlewild by telephone or email at least seven days before the start date of your class to receive a refund.
If you wish to postpone your registration to a later session, you must contact Idlewild by telephone or email at least three days before the start date of your class to receive a credit toward a future session (good for one year).
Have questions about Chinese for Beginners (Williamsburg) 8-week course May-July 2014?
Contact Idlewild Books