'Continuing Education & Networking Event'
June 11, 2014
6 AIA HSW Credit Hours towards your state license
8:00 AM Registration Begins
Morning pastries, fruit and coffee will be provided
8:30 - 9:30 AM (8:30 - 9:30 am - verified by DR)
Surface Innovation - Redefining Boundaries of Interior and Exterior Spaces with Ultracompact Surfacing – ‘Dekton’
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #:COS06E
AIA Provider: Ron Blank & Associates, Inc.
In this course, we explore a cutting edge surfacing technology, Ultracompact surfacing. Gain insight
into how this surfacing material possesses the same characteristics of natural stone while providing unmatched color and design flexibility.
1. Discuss the evolution of surfaces and the various types of surfacing material for interior and
2. Define Ultracompact surfacing and the innovative production process that creates intrinsically
3. Discuss designing with Ultracompact surfaces in terms color, texture, and format.
4. Discuss the advantages of compact surfaces in terms of strength, durability, chemical
resistance, absorption, abrasion resistance, and ASTM testing.
5. Identify possible interior/exterior application options with Ultracompact surfacing
9:40 - 10:40 AM (on time)
Use of Snow Retention Devices: Science or Fiction?
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: ISF07A
AIA Provider: InfoSpec Inc.
Presenter: Harry Lubitz
Discover the art and science of snow control and its effects, such as snow migration on rooftops of structures. Learn about the common myths and misperceptions regarding snow retention, as well as the do's and don’ts of retention devices, product selection, and site specifics.
1. Describe the history of snow control on rooftops
2. Explain when and where you should or shouldn't use snow retention devices
3. List the common myths and misperceptions regarding snow retention
4. List the common pitfalls of product selection and site specifics
5. Describe how to value engineer snow retention systems without sacrificing performance
6. Explain the proper selection and specification of snow guards
10:50 - 11:50 AM (10:50 - 11:55)
Roof Gardens, Basic Design Principles
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course Number: 00G106
Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: Richard Stever
This one-hour course includes the learning of proper design principles for Roof Gardens.
Subjects include proper membrane selection and application, drainage principles, plant
selection, methods of vegetation and the performance advantages of Roof Garden
implementation. Attendees will also learn various methods of Roof Garden installation
as well as advantages and disadvantages of traditional and modular Roof Garden systems.
1: Understanding the three main types and why one is used over the over.
2: Understanding installation procedure.
3: Understanding common vegetation types.
4: Understanding industry trends and advantage of Roof Gardens.
12:00 PM Lunch Sponsored by Greg Trimboli with Dynamic Closures
1:00 - 2:00 PM (on-time)
Up Close and Personal with Hard Surfacing Materials – A Tour
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: ICS06B
Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Presenter: Erik Liefrinck/ Deborah Scroggins
This one hour facility tour will better inform the designer about the various “HARD” surfacing materials that are available and how they have evolved. This live course will provide a visual walking tour where individuals can actually interact with the raw materials and see how they are transformed into finished products. Integrating key sustainable concepts such as water conservation, life cycle analysis indoor air quality and sustainable materials certifications, this course will compare and contrast both the aesthetic and physical properties of the various materials with other hard surfacing materials and illustrate how these attributes can greatly affect the end user, the project, and the environmental impact.
2:10 - 3:10 PM (on time)
Drafting an Understanding of Polished Concrete
1 AIA HSW Credit Hour | AIA Course #: AFP1
AIA Provider: CureCrete - AIA Provider #: J550
Presenter: Deke Rife
Understanding Polished Densified Concrete utilizing the RetroPlate System of polished concrete.
1. Densified Polished Concrete
2. Identify the challenges, disadvantages of using floor coatings and membranes as opposed to
chemical densifiers. Identify the advantages of using chemical densifiers over floor coatings
3. Learn how the process of concrete densification eliminates the need for additional applications,
and can enhance the overall performance of concrete for the life of the floors, when using the
right chemical densifier product.
4. Identify the added benefits that polishing can add to densified concrete and the low life cycle cost
factor when compared to other types of flooring materials and coverings such as tile, terrazzo, etc.
3:20 - 4:20 PM (on time)
Steep Sloped Premium Stone Coated Metal Roofing Systems
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: IMU07E
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc. Sponsor: Metals USA
Presenter: James Develder
This course will better inform the designer on how to properly specify stone coated metal
roofing system. Through a thorough review of installation procedures, cost breakdown and
system benefits to any project, the design professional attending this educational presentation
will be able to knowledgably specify a stone coated metal roofing system into their next project.
1. Define stone coated metal.
2. Depict how stone coated metal roofing is manufactured.
3. Explain the benefits of stone coated metal roofing.
4. Describe the installation methods for stone coated metal roofing systems.
5. Discuss how specifying stone coated metal roofing systems may contribute towards a
project earning LEED certification.
6. Describe how stone coated metal roofing systems are energy efficient & Energy Star
7. Explain the cost benefits of stone coated metal roofing systems.
'This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes'
When & Where
CE Academy, Inc.
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email email@example.com.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.