This is our weekly "official" training session for Chicago Android Workshops. We will be providing different training every week, so make sure you don't miss it. Attend one of MANY FREE "Android dev sessions (free)" listed on the our Google Calendar to catch up on Android basics. Join ChicagoAndroid.com for updates.
Agenda (subject to change depending on students interests and experience level):
- July 28th, 2010
- 5:30 PM workshop 099: Java introduction for Android developers (only beginners attend)
- 6:30 PM workshop 303: SQLite, Mp3 database (90 min)
- 8:00 PM workshop 305: Media Player
- July 7th, 2010:
- 5:30 PM workshop 100. Android set-up (students perform by themselves prior to class)
- 5:45 PM workshop 101. create a new project (fast 15 minute overview)
- 6:00 PM workshop 106. Creating Menu, switching between multiple screens/Activities (30 minutes)
- 6:30 PM workshop 302. GPS and Browser WebView (30 min)
- 7:00 PM workshop 303. SQLite database, GPS, ListView (90 min)
- AUg 11th, 2010:
- Android User Interface design
- XML parsing
- cont. Music Player
Why study Android?
Android has over 60 phones currently on the market, 14 tablets from most major manufacturers are coming out this year. Android started to sell more units than iPhone or Blackberry. There are Android TV boxes, Android in GM's car navigation and emergency systems, Android VOIP desk phones, eBook readers like Alex and B&N Nook and many other devices...
Android becomes the next wave of technology which resembles the Internet wave circa 1996-99. If you are a developer and you are not learning mobile development, you simply miss the biggest job opportunity of this decade.
For every website, company or problem to be solved there will be a question "Is there an app for that?". We want to make sure that the answer is "Yes! There is an app..."
There are 300,000 businesses in Chicago alone, a large part of them will want at least a simple mobile app to connect to their clients better than a Website can do, the opportunity if incredible.
Why we charge money?
- We offer many FREE development sessions every week as outlined in our Google Calendar
- We have limited number a seats in the classroom (18) and we want to provide them only to committed students
- most of the professionals will be able to get reimbursement for the cost, or write it off as business expense
- Over dozens of conferences and workshops we learned that people who pay even nominal amount usually show up
- driving from Mundelein to Chicago is long, 3 hours per day, and expensive
- parking in Chicago downtown is expensive ($15-$30)
- each workshop is 3 hours of intense education -- a great value for price of a dinner
- Instructors highly value their own time and want students to put equal value on their studies
- We want to attract only students who "we run thru the brick wall" to learn, to create apps, who will be great software consultants and who will create future start-up companies
If your company (Google, Motorola, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.) and would like to sponsor our events to provide them for discount to the students, please contact Uki directly.
People who register and attend will receive $10 OFF for the next class.
Make sure to ask us about job opportunities.
Uki Dominque Lucas
mobile platform think-tank and development team organized by Uki D. Lucas
Group of entrepreneurs and developers specializing in creating Android (as well as tablet, iPhone, Blackberry) applications.