This Chef Introductory Workshop is a hands on training class for getting familiar with Chef for performing common automation tasks. In this workshop, we will cover:
- Set up a local workstation with Chef and connect to a Chef Server.
- Use Chef to automate installation of a Nagios server as a real world example.
- Automate other common system tasks with Chef, including:
- User management and sudo permissions
- NTP, including a local NTP server
- SMTP relaying with postfix
Each exercise will be instructor-led, and introduce new Chef concepts along the way. We'll cover the Anatomy of a Chef Run, Chef's Authentication Cycle, how to build roles, manipulate configuration through data in attributes, use Chef's search API for dynamic configuration, and more.
Lunch and snack will be provided. Please notify us of any dietary restrictions you may have.
* Please note registration closes 24 hours prior to the start of class. Please contact Jamie Bright at email@example.com if you wish to register inside of that time frame.
**Cancellation requests must be received in writing 24 hours prior to the start of class in order to be eligible for a refund.
Attendees should bring a wifi-enabled laptop to the workshop. The following operating systems have been tested as workstation systems with the hands on exercises:
- Ubuntu 10.04, 12.04
- Mac OS X 10.7.3
- Windows 7
Other platforms and platform versions may work without modification. Due to time constraints we will not be able to troubleshoot issues with unlisted platforms.
Attendees should install non-Chef required software before the workshop starts.
- SSH/SCP (OpenSSH, puTTY/WinSCP or equivalent)
- Programer's text editor (Vi/Vim, Emacs, Sublime Text 2 or equivalent)
On Unix/Linux/OS X systems:
- C/C++ compiler, build environment (
build-essential, Xcode, or platform equivalent).
If Chef is not already installed, use Opscode's Full Stack Chef installer.
When & Where
Opscode is the provider of Chef, the automation platform for the coded business. Opscode Chef provides the speed, flexibility, and efficiency to compete in the digital economy. By modeling IT infrastructure and application delivery as code, Chef empowers businesses of all sizes to easily scale to meet demand, eliminate down time, manage complexity, and accelerate time to market. www.opscode.com