For "Ceviche Nights," chef Ricardo Zarate, business partner Stephane Bombet and Food GPS invite some of L.A.'s top chefs into the Mo-chica kitchen to push the boundaries of ceviche. On Sunday, December 16, “Ceviche Nights” —inspired in part by Zarate’s upcoming restaurant Paichẽ, a seafood-focused cevicheria debuting in 2013—welcomes fellow FOOD & WINE “Best New Chef” Bryant Ng (The Spice Table), Thai trailblazer Kris Yenbamroong (NIGHT + MARKET) and talented pastry chef Hourie Sahakian (Short Cake) to help create 7 courses, with tasting flights from Firestone Walker Brewing Co..
1. Bryant Ng: Raw scallop (chiles, scallions, sesame, dried scallop congee)
Suggested Firestone Walker Beer Pairing: Pale 31, a California Pale Ale (4.9% ABV)
2. Kris Yenbamroong: Nam Kao Tod: crispy rice salad with fermented pork, oysters, raw ginger, onion, bird eye chile
Suggested Firestone Walker Beer Pairing: Union Jack, an India Pale Ale (7.5% ABV)
3. Ricardo Zarate: ceviche de conchas de navaja ala parilla
Ceviche of grilled razor clams. Aji amarillo dressing
Suggested Firestone Walker Beer Pairing: DBA, an English Style Bitter/Amber Ale (5% ABV)
4. Bryant Ng: Prawn ceviche (peanut sambal, onion, tomato, saltine crackers) with crispy cereal prawn head (cereal, hazelnuts, salted egg yolk, curry leaf)
Suggested Firestone Walker Beer Pairing: Double Jack, a double IPA (9.5% ABV)
5. Kris Yenbamroong: Koi Wua - Isan beef ceviche with roasted chile and rice powder
Suggested Firestone Walker Beer Pairing: Wookey Jack, a Black Rye IPA (8.3% ABV)
6. Ricardo Zarate: ceviche de pato con tacu tacu de pallares
Duck confit in Hot ceviche stew with pallares tacu tacu
Suggested Firestone Walker Beer Pairing: Velvet Merlin, an Oatmeal Stout (5.5% ABV)
7. Hourie Sahakian: Cranberry Pear Pie with Buttermilk Ice Cream and Bourbon Caramel Sauce
Suggested Firestone Walker Beer Pairing: Walker's Reserve, a Robust Porter (5.8% ABV)
Ceviche Nights is a ticketed event and tickets are available via Eventbrite.
December 16, 2012, $75 per person, inclusive of gratuity
$16 seven-beer flight, a la carte beers available for $3
10% of proceeds benefit American Red Cross Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.