November 14-16, 2012
Certified Scrum Product Owner course and Project Start up Workshop - RTP!
Date: November 14-16 - 3 days inclusive, 2012
This two day course satisfying the Certifed Scrum Product Owner training, plus an extra day of our unique "roll-up-your-sleeves workshop" teaches you how to become an effective Product Owner! Our intensive Certified Scrum Product Owner course offers you a strong foundation in the Scrum framework and agile principles, geared toward the unique Product Owner role. Yet there is more! On day three we will step you through from Vision through Release planning with your own project data. The real-world experience these trainers have allows us to incorporate practical advice and time-tested techniques into this hands-on workshop.
What is Scrum?
Scrum is a simple but powerful agile framework. Key to its success is the role of the Product Owner, who steers and guides the Scrum project, bridges the gap between end customers, business and development/IT and is responsible for the return on investment (ROI). The Product Owner combines the traditional project and product manager roles in one person.
This three-day interactive Scrum Product Owner Workshop equips you with all you need to know to be an effective Product Owner. At the end of the course, you will understand how to leverage Scrum to optimise value creation and customer satisfaction. You will be able to create a realistic release plan, stock the product backlog, write user stories and refine requirements. You will also know how you can increase productivity, level the workload, and be able to steer your project proactively.
The learning modules include:
- Agile Values, Scrum Benefits and Origins
- Scrum and Change
- Companies using Scrum
- Scrum flow
- Scrum roles: The Product Owner, Team, Scrum Master
- Product Owner Characteristics
- A day in the life of the Product Owner
- The Product Owner as the Voice of the Customer and Value Stream Manager
- Understanding the Customer
- The Product Vision
- The Product Backlog
- Determining the Release Scope
- Story Mapping and User Stories on the Product Backlog
- Prioritizing the Product Backlog
- Refining the Product Backlog
- Sustainable Pace
- Defining and Communicating Project Success
- Release Management Strategies
- Estimating Product Backlog Items Using Story Points and Planning Poker
- Choosing the Sprint Length and Determining Velocity
- Creating the Release Plan
- Tracking the Project Progress
- Blitz Planning
- Sprint Workflow and Characteristics
- Formulating Powerful Sprint Goals
- Sprint Planning, Daily Scrum, Sprint Review and Retrospective
- Understanding the Sprint Progress
- The Planning Onion
- The Portfolio Road-map
- Why Portfolio Management Matters
- Leveling the Demand
- Portfolio Management Steps
Large and Distributed Scrum Projects:
- Brook’s Law
- Organic Growth and Conway’s Law
- Master Product Backlog and the Product Owner Team
- Team Set-up
- Multi-team Planning and Coordination
- Shared Norms and Assets
- Distributed Scrum Project Tips
Times: The course will typically run from 8:30am-5:10pm each day. Please arrive at 8:30am for a continental breakfast, we will start promptly at 9:00am. Lunch will also be provided.
Preparation: Participants should read Ken Schwaber's book, Agile Project Management with Scrum, or Jeff Sutherland's The Scrum Handbook before the class as we will assume you know the basics of Scrum.
Registered participants will receive additional prework: videos to review and prep work prior to the course.
Course Venue address and location:
Research Triangle Park Headquarters
12 Davis Drive
RTP, NC 27709
Fee: $1995 for three days of intense, hands-on training. Early bird rate is in effect until October 17, 2012 for $1700. Group discounts are possible, if you send 3 or more from the same firm. Military discounts are possible, please contact us. Sign up now if you want to attend!
After completing this course:
Following the course, each participant will receive all the information you need to become registered with the Scrum Alliance (the non-profit organization that issues the certification.) You will then be asked to fill in your profile details. You'll have a two year membership with the Scrum Alliance and you'll be able to print your Certified Scrum Product Owner details. The initial membership fee is ($50.00) is included in the cost of your workshop attendance, and we'll take care of processing all that with the Scrum Alliance for you.
PMPs: You can apply for 21 PMP PDUs with the Project Management Institute, satisfying 21 training hours for the new PMI-ACP (PMI-Agile Certified Practitioner)
Over time, we keep in touch. We want you to succeed!
Participants will receive course materials on day 1 of the course, and upon registration you will receive prepratory reading materials.
Call for questions!
If you have any questions or would like specail consideration for your training needs, please do call or email!
Catherine Louis +1.919.244.1888
email: cll at cll dash group dot com
When & Where
Contact Catherine Louis, (919) 244-1888 for further info, or reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org