Take the Certified ScrumMaster course on March 25-26 and get a special rate on this class. Email for details.
Why this specific workshop?
That's easy: This is a unique, simulation and exercise based workshop rather than death by PowerPoint. Most attendees notice these differences from other courses they have taken:
- No boredom: fewer than 50 PowerPoint slides are used during the two days (and most of those are a picture and a few words!)
- Learn by doing: there are approximately 20 different exercises and simulations used during the workshop
- High knowledge retention: Using accelerated learning techniques the workshop material is presented in ways designed to maximize learning AND retention
- Whys before hows: workshop explores the principles and values which drive success before getting into successful practices - which allows attendees to understand the practices at a much deeper level
- Fun: every part of the course is designed to keep attendees engaged and having fun while learning the material
Add all this up and this workshop is one you shouldn't miss.
You will learn more than the basic Scrum framework. You will also leave understanding the underlying principles, basic practices and common techniques Scrum Product Owners (and others - see Who Should Attend tab above) need to know to help their teams achieve project success in a fast-changing world. The workshop covers all of the basics of Scrum as well as a significant amount of material devoted specifically to the skills necessary to become an excellent Scrum Product Owner. Requirements gathering, backlog grooming, prioritization and dealing with stakeholders will be topics covered during the workshop.
At the end of the workshop you will be able to:
- describe the Scrum framework to others
- roles and responsibilities
- use of each artifact
- purpose of each meeting/ceremony
- explain the difference between the Scrum framework and other methods
- compare with waterfall
- compare Scrum Product Owner role with traditional roles
- compare the Scrum product backlog with traditional requirements
- Effectively use and maintain a product backlog
- demonstrate at least one way to create product backlog items
- create and groom a product backlog
- effectively use several different prioritization techniques
- demonstrate the use of at least two different estimating techniques
- Plan for a product portfolio
- measure business value across multiple products and releases
- drive business value through multiple teams and products to delivery
- Plan for a product release
- create a useful product vision
- use Scrum artifacts to understand high level status of a release
- Plan for a sprint
- work effectively with the Scrum development team to deliver value
- use team velocity to maintain a sustainable cadence
- use Scrum artifacts to understand status of a sprint
- create a personal plan for the future
- list 3 immediate action items for personal change
- pass the Scrum Alliance CSM test
- become a Certified Scrum Professional (CSP) one year after becoming a CSM
Scrum history, principles and values - Basic Scrum background as well as the principles and values which help ensure success when using Scrum.
Scrum theory - The three legs of Scrum theory: transparency, inspection and adaptation are examined in detail.
Scrum framework basics - The meetings, artifacts and roles which make up the Scrum process.
Scrum practices - Estimation, planning and other practices which are commonly used in Scrum.
Portfolio, release and sprint planning - What is done for each and how to do it.
Dealing with stakeholders - Coaching scenarios and techniques commonly used by Scrum Product Owners.
Advanced techniques - Going beyond the basics.
Plus You Get All This:
- High quality training based on accelerated learning techniques for better retention
- Continental breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks
- A USB drive containing a PDF of the course materials and other useful Scrum related content
- A two-year membership/certification in the Scrum Alliance, a $50 value
- A printed and bound copy of the course materials
- Eligible for Agile For All client contests for one full year (we give away awesome prizes several times per year)
- Eligible for $200 discount on future Agile For All workshops (including $200 off of early bird prices!)
Who Should Attend
Do you work in an organization which creates any sort of product? If so, then you are a candidate for this course!
The course is primarily designed for people who will be placed in the role of Scrum Product Owner. However, because the course gives a great foundation in Scrum and the people skills necessary to make Scrum successful anyone who wants to help their organization be successful is encouraged to attend.
If you are in any of these roles and your organization could use Scrum to create products then consider yourself one of those "who should attend!"
- Business Analysts
- Documentation Specialists
- Marketing People
- Product Managers
- Project Managers
- Team Members
- Sales People
- Operations and Support
- Technical Writers
The list is lengthy because a good knowledge of Scrum and associated skills needed for success can be helpful to everyone in an organization.
Not everyone wants to become a Certified Scrum Product Owner and that's ok! You can opt out of the certification by telling the instructor ahead of time, or you can simply choose to ignore the messages sent by the Scrum Alliance after the course has been completed.
However, if you want to become a Certified Scrum Product Owner you can do so by logging into the Scrum Alliance website with the username and password you are sent after the workshop is completed. Simple as that!
This workshop will be facilitated by Bob Hartman (www.agilebob.com), one of only a few people who is both a Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Trainer and Certified Scrum Coach. Bob has extensive experience in both training and coaching Scrum teams at organizations including HP, Pearson Education, Starz Entertainment Network, Western Union, Weyerhaeuser, Siemens, Arapahoe County and the University of Iowa. He draws on this broad experience to help attendees leave the workshop with the confidence they can start a project right away. If you are already on a Scrum team you will leave knowing how to do it well and how to help your team achieve a higher level of success.
Don't see a date or location which works for you? Have a team which needs to be trained? Want training to come to you? Don't sweat it! Agile For All does onsite training workshops at reasonable prices. Contact us at 1-303-766-0917 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to see what we can arrange to meet your needs.
Everyone who signs up under the early-bird pricing is eligible for a drawing for an iPod Touch to be given away at the end of the course!!!
Professional Development Units (PDUs)
PMPs: You can receive 14 PDUs for this course.
When & Where
Agile For All
Agile For All is an Agile and Scrum consulting firm dedicated to Making Agile a Reality®.
We guide companies through the nuances and challenges required to adopt Agile successfully. We provide clients with a seamless integrated experience across Agile techniques, principles and values, drawing from processes such as Scrum and XP, Kanban, Lean Thinking, Theory of Constraints, psychology, anthropology, and more.
Our documented history demonstrates that Agile effectively delivers measurable business value. We’ve helped clients develop high quality software, fast time to market, happy employees and customers, solid ROI and one-of-a-kind transformation through the adoption of Agile continuous improvement practices.