PLEASE NOTE: The Wood Badge course is 6 FULL days of training over two weekends. The course dates are:
- Friday, August 22, 2014 @ 8:00am through Sunday, August 24, 2014, @ 5:00pm.
- Saturday, September 13, 2014 @ 8:00am through Monday, September 15, 2014 @ 5:00pm.
Attendance is required for the full six days.
Why Should I Attend Wood Badge?
Wood Badge is the premier leadership training course offered by the Boy Scouts of America. During this six-day course, you will learn — and practice — all of the skills you need to be the best Scouting volunteer you can be.
During Wood Badge, you will:
- Explore the mission, aims, methods, and values of Scouting
- Learn how to develop high-performing teams of youth and adults
- Practice leadership skills including assessing performance, managing conflict, and giving feedback
- Develop problem solving, communication and project management skills to better support your Scouting unit.
- Create a personal plan to serve your Scouting unit and leave a legacy.
Am I Eligible to Attend Wood Badge?
If you are a registered leader active in a Cub Scout Pack, Boy Scout Troop, Varsity Scout Team, or Venturing Crew, or serving in a District or Council role, you are invited to attend Wood Badge! You should have completed the basic training for your Scouting position.
A significant portion of the course is spent outside, so you should be comfortable with overnight
camping. Of course, if you have any special needs, we will work with you to accommodate them.
What Happens at Wood Badge?
The Wood Badge experience has two phases.
During the first, or “practical” phase, you’ll spend two three-day weekends learning leadership skills in a Scout camp setting. You will participate in all stages of the Scout program
from Cub Scouting through Venturing, while practicing key leadership skills, working closely with a team of likeminded Scouting volunteers. The second weekend features overnight tent camping and helps you develop a plan to use your new skills in your Scout unit.
The second, or “application”, phase begins once you’re home from the course and start to practice what you learned in Wood Badge. Over the next several months, you’ll work to achieve the goals you’ve set - and once those goals are completed, you’ll be awarded the Wood Badge.
What is the cost?
The full cost of the course is $300, and can be paid in the following payment schedule:
- $90 deposit upon sign-up
- $110 due by May 15th
- Final $100 due by July 10th
Throughout Wood Badge, you’ll master leadership skills, meet new friends, develop a network of resources, challenge yourself in new ways, and have fun!