Pack your sleeping bag and tent for an action packed overnight camping adventure with Jefferson County Open Space Rangers and Naturalists. Participate in engaging activities, a cracklin’ campfire sing-a-long, stargazing and more.
Registration is required.
This program requires a minimum of 30 participants in order for activities to be presented. Invite your friends!
If you would like to register a scout troop or other group, please register each family separately.
*Registration for this program opens May 15th at 9:00 AM. Registration will close on June 15th. If there is no longer space available for this program, please call Lookout Mountain Nature Center at 720-497-7600 to be placed on a wait-list.
Please note: If you have attended our Camp Jr. Rangers in the past, please read the information below. There have been some changes to the program.
This event will require a one-mile moderate hike, with your camping gear, from the parking lot to the Sawmill campground at White Ranch Open Space Park. All members of your group must be able to hike to the campsite. Rangers will not shuttle camping gear to or from campsites. If you are unsure about your child's ability to hike this distance, we recommend doing a day hike to Sawmill campgrounds at White Ranch Park before you register.
This is a family camp-out program. Activities are designed for kids ages 6 -10 & their parents. (older & younger kids are also welcome with their family)
All campsites are first come, first serve; plan to arrive early if you are camping with other families. Three (3) tents per site maximum. Map of the Sawmill Campgrounds at White Ranch
Parking permit is required, this will be your Eventbrite registration confirmation page. You must print out your confirmation page before arrival and place on your car while parked at White Ranch Park.
Dogs are not allowed at this event.
Meals will not be provided. Please bring your own meals and snacks.
32 oz. (refillable) water bottle per person is recommended for your hike to and from the campground. Fresh water will also be provided at the campground.
Saturday, June 22nd
9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. – Arrive on your own, hike with your gear to the campground site of your choice.
1:30 -- Welcome and orientation
2:00 - 5:00 p.m. -- Camp Jr. Ranger activities
5:00 - 7:30 p.m. -- Dinner (on your own)
7:30 - 9:00 p.m. – Campfire Sing-Along & stargazing
Sunday, June 23rd
8:00 – Noon -- Clean up campsites & hike back to the parking lot
Suggested Packing List:
(for a handy checklist, visit http://jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/camping_checklist.pdf)
*advanced camping permit is not required. The Rangers will have these available for you when you check in.
Your gear will be not be hauled to and from your campsite. You & your family will need to be able to carry your gear the one mile hike.
- 32 oz. re-fillable water bottle (per person) and water for hike.
- Snacks and meals
- Insect repellant
- Field guides
- Layers of clothing for a variety of weather conditions, including a rain/wind jacket and pants
- First-aid kit
- Tent (with all required poles, stakes, footprint, rainfly, etc.)
- Food storage containers (Some sites are equipped with bear boxes, some with bars for hanging food out of reach of wildlife. Bear boxes will only accomodate small coolers. For tips on food storage, visit http://jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/food_storage.pdf)
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad/air mattress
- Cookstove with enough fuel
- Cooking/dining utensils
- Trash bags
- Paper towels
- Matches and tinder (firewood is provided at the campsites, if there is no fire ban)
- Warm clothes
- Flashlight or headlamp with spare batteries
- Pocket knife
- 25 feet of rope to hang food out of reach of wildlife
Lightweight Packing Suggestions
- Pack dehydrated food and beverage mixes
- Use backpacking-specific gear like a lightweight tent, sleeping bags, cooksets, gas stoves, etc.
- Bring a lighweight folding camp seat in place of folding chairs
- Pack lightweight clothes - bring layers that can work together in different weather conditions
Please leave these things at home:
- Airsoft guns, slingshots, etc.
- Non-essential electronic devices
Discover the Lookout Mountain Nature Center...where nature's riches abound and where curiosity and exploration are always rewarded.
Connect with nature at this 110 acre park. Inside experience exhibits that depict migrating birds and reveal secrets of the ponderosa pine forest. Visit the Discovery Corner and Observation Room. Outside stroll trails winding through forest and meadow, picnic beneath towering pine trees or join a naturalist-guided program.
The Lookout Mountain Nature Center creates awareness, understanding, and conservation of Jefferson County's open spaces through year-round educational programs and exhibits.
Visit http://lmnc.jeffco.us for more information.
Join millions of people on Eventbrite.
In order to purchase these tickets in installments, you'll need an Eventbrite account. Log in or sign up for a free account to continue.