Call to Action Film Series "Slavery by Another Name"
Wednesday, October 23, 2013 from 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM (EDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Call to Action!
A film series featuring the PBS documentary
Slavery By Another Name
Slavery by Another Name is a 90-minute PBS documentary that challenges one of Americans’ most cherished assumptions: the belief that slavery in this country ended with the Emancipation Proclamation. Most Americans do not realize that the constitutions of Indiana and the United States to this day legalize slavery!
- Should slavery still be legal in Indiana?
- What are the implications of redress and reparations?
- What kind of psychology sustains this present reality?
- Is slavery against international law?
- What can be done?
This is program is the first in a series. We are starting a movement.
Stay tuned; there is more to come.
You are invited to stay after the screening of this thought-provoking documentary for a probing panel discussion.
- Subini Ancy Annamma, IU School of Education at IUPUI Assistant Professor of Special Education
- John Bartlett, State Representative
- Ken Falk, Legal Director, ACLU-IN Attorney
- Lahny Silva, IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law Professor
- Rev. Byron Vaughn, President of Prisoners Reformed United, Inc.
- Rebecca Zeitlow, University of Toledo College of Law Professor
Invited guests from the IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- Karen Bravo, Professor and Associate Dean for International Affairs
- George E. Edwards, C.M. Gray Professor of Law
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- Indiana University School of Education at IUPUI
- Indianapolis Urban League
Carlton Waterhouse, School of Law
Chalmer Thompson, School of Education
Spread the Word!