San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
The 10th-annual Belmont Shore Sidewalk Chalk Art Contest presented by Justin Rudd and his nonprofit 501c3 Community Action Team will be Sat., Oct. 19, 2013. Free for artists age 18+. The event is part of the Belmont Shore Art Walk on 2nd Street.
Web site: www.JustinRudd.com/chalk.html
PRE-REGISTERED LEAD ARTISTS
BEST IN SHOW: $350
1st Place: $250
2nd Place: $150
Honorable Mentions: five awards @ $50 each
Director's Awards: $50 to $100
<DRAWING A CROWD IN LONG BEACH
$1,000 Belmont Shore Sidewalk Chalk Art Contest is Sat., Oct. 19, 2013
JUSTIN RUDD'S BELMONT SHORE SIDEWALK CHALK ART CONTEST will surely "draw" a crowd on Sat., Oct. 19, 2013, from 9 a.m. to 4:10 p.m. Attracting seasoned and emergent visual artists, as well as participants from local high schools and universities, the 10th annual Belmont Shore Sidewalk Chalk Art Contest, presented by Justin Rudd and his nonprofit Community Action Team (C.A.T.), will showcase the works of diverse artists who will use chalk as their medium, and the sidewalks of Belmont Shore as their canvas. There will be $1,000 cash awarded again this year.
ARTISTS WILL DRAW on premium artist's paper that will be affixed to the sidewalk with blue masking tape. Artists are free to take home their artwork after the judging and/or to sell their art at the event. By drawing on paper, it also allows artists to move indoors if it rains (as it did a few years ago).
The event is part of the Belmont Shore Art Walk on 2nd Street.
Event organizer: Justin@JustinRudd.com
CLICK HERE to get on our e-mail list for upcoming Long Beach art & photography events.
Facebook page: Belmont Shore Sidewalk Chalk Art Contest
RULES FOR 2013
- Only solid pastels may be used. Chalk pastels are recommended.
- There is no required art theme.
- No chalking directly on the sidewalk.
- Artist's paper, approx. 38 x 50, will be supplied to pre-registrants. (Example: Lenox 100 is a 100% cotton sheet made in the USA. Developed by Legion Paper, this fine art print paper has a textured finish and is very popular for most drawing and printmaking techniques. Neutral pH, no deckles.) Or, Stonhenge (with deckles).
- If using your own supplies or pastels, please present them at check-in for inspection.
- Art must be family-friendly.
- No nude or lewd artwork.
- No political, campaign or commercial advertising statements, messages, or drawings.
- No words or symbols intended as advertising or promotion may appear within the
- No stenciling.
- Organizers have the right to disqualify and/or remove any inappropriate art or writing as they may deem necessary.
- Judging based on first impression, creativity, originality, skill, and use of color.
- Digital photos will be taken and used for publicity purposes.
- This contest is for adults and students in high school and college, age 18 and older. Those teens under age 18 are welcome as non-juried participants for $10, if paid in advance by check to CAT, 5209 E. The Toledo #1, LB, 90803.
- No participants under age 13. In 2014, the minimum age will be 16.
- Not responsible for damage or theft of art work.
- Basic, starter: approx. 10-pieces of chalk and one sheet of artists' paper provided for all pre-registrants.
- Participants are required to sign a liability waiver, prior to beginning to draw.
- Organizers and judges have the right to modify or add to these rules, as necessary.
- Artists are encouraged to sign their work at the bottom of the image area.
SCHEDULE & LOCATION
- Artists MUST sign-in at the table in front of Chase Bank, 5200 E. 2nd St. @ Nieto Ave., from 8:30-9:20 a.m.
-Artists can draw from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
-Free pizza/sodas for lead artists: at noon in front of Chase Bank (friends/family can pay $5 that morning for the pizza/soda lunch)
-Final Judging and awards: 4:10 p.m. in front of Chase Bank.
Web site: www.JustinRudd.com/chalk.html
When & Where
Justin's Community Action Team (CAT) promotes social well-being among the general public. As a 501c3 nonprofit corporation governed by a board of directors, contributions to CAT are tax deductible and are used to help produce quality events within our community that benefit children, animals, and the environment.