8am – 6pm
Portland State University
1825 SW Broadway
Portland, OR 97201
Registration: $20 Regular $10 Student and Limited Income
Includes lunch and FREE admission to Conference Events with the exception of SweLL and Love Hurts
SweLL Performance – Friday October 1st 7pm doors, 7:30 showtime – $12 in advance, $15 at the door
*Separate entrance fee from conference registration*
Love Hurts – Friday October 1st 9pm – $10 in advance, $15 at the door – RSVP Required.
*Separate entrance fee from conference registration*
The far north west needs to be heard!!! Portland, OR will host one of four BUTCH Voices Regional Conferences in 2010. Last year’s ground-breaking BUTCH Voices conference brought together hundreds of self identified Butches, Studs, Aggressives and other similar identified folks, as well as many allies for conversation, workshops, entertainment, and good ol’ fashioned butch bonding. The Queer Resource Center at Portland State University is co-sponsoring this event.
Our hope for the BUTCH Voices Portland Regional Conference is to provide a similar, regionally-focused event with the same awesome, open spirit and attitude. We will also be including substantial programming around health and wellness.
BUTCH Voices Portland Regional Conference, as every BUTCH Voices event, is open to attendees all along the gender spectrum with our same focus on inclusion and diversity.
We are woman-identified Butches. We are trans-masculine Studs. We are faggot-identified Aggressives. We are noun Butches, adjective Studs and pronoun-shunning Aggressives. We are she, he, hy, ze, zie and hir. We are you, and we are me. The point is, we don’t decide who is Butch, Stud or Aggressive. You get to decide for yourself.
We are thankful for our sponsors who are helping to make BUTCH Voices Portland a successful and accessible event. Please click here to support our Sponsors.
Join us for three Fundraiser events leading up to the conference.
**Conference Weekend At A Glance**
Thursday, September 30th
Taste of BUTCH Flavor - Art exhibition opening night
The BUTCH Voices Portland Regional Conference kicks off with our opening night art exhibition at Portland’s LGBTQ Resource Center, Q Center, on Thursday, September 30th at 6pm. Artists from all over the Pacific Northwest region will be highlighted in a month long art exhibit, curated by Jay Walls
Friday October 1st
-Meet and Greet – 5pm at Scandals – cash bar and live music by Annie Vergnetti and Nikki Jauron.
-SweLL: So The Story Goes – exclusive Portland performance by Ivan E. Coyote, Lyndell Montgomery, and Anna Camilleri at the Smith Memorial Student Union Ballroom, Portland State Univeristy. Doors at 7:00pm, showtime at 7:30pm **separate from conference registration fee** $Tickets $12 in advance, $15 at the door
SweLL is: Ivan E Coyote, Anna Camilleri, Lyndell Montgomery.
“They tell home stories. Queer tales. True, except when they’re not. Stories that swell and implode the spaces between cultural institutions and queer landscapes; between female and male; between tightly produced performance and kitchen table talk.”
- Love Hurts – BUTCH Voices edition, a kink/sex play party – 9pm *separate fee to attend* $10 in advance, $15 at the door. RSVP in advance required.
Saturday October 2nd
- Conference workshops and panels on a variety of topics all day – including a Keynote address by Kathleen Saadat – on campus at PSU at the Smith Memorial Student Union from 9am to 6pm. Check out our Workshops – topics range from Butch Porn, Transfemale Butchness, Two-Spirits, Genderqueer, Middle Class Butches, Dismantling Racism and Transphobia and more! Registration opens at 8am for onsite. Register online in advance to avoid the line!
- BUTCH BUFFET - A bevy of Butches for the Saturday night performance showcase at the Hawthorne Theater. Doors at 8pm, show at 9pm. AN ALL AGES SHOW! Showcase will include Ivan E Coyote, Lyndell Montgomery, Anna Camilleri, and fresh from her national television debut on America’s Got Talent, Portland’s own Sally Cohn. Your conference wristband gets you in free, otherwise it’s $10 in advance, or $12 at the door.
- BUTCH Dessert – Be sure to leave room for dessert! After feasting on the buffet, it’s time for some sweet fun and dancing at the Egyptian Club. DJ Action Slacks will be serving up vintage soul & other treats!
- BUTCH Voices Karaoke – Put those BUTCH Voices to use for our Sunday night Karaoke wind down and costume contest at the Egyptian Club - 6pm to 10pm.
DHOR will be providing ASL interpretation throughout the conference weekend with the help from their EAASL program. This program makes it possible for accessible service to be provided by American Sign Language Interpreters at community events/workshops/activities.
Any accessibility requests should be directed to us via email BVPortland2010@gmail.com as soon as possible to help us provide accommodations where necessary. Please view our Accessibility and Awareness page for more information on the venues we are using and for Portland in general.
Volunteers are needed for a variety of tasks. People wanting to participate in the BUTCH Voices Portland Regional Conference can also email BVPortland2010@gmail.com with their interest and questions.
For attendees traveling and needing a place to stay, we’ve arranged two options for hotel room stays:
First we have a room block with The University Hotel & Conference Center. The hotel is only blocks away from the conference location on campus at Portland State University. The BUTCH Voices Portland Conference room rate is $89 per night, and there is also a parking charge of $12 per day. More information and to reserve here.
Can’t afford the host hotel, and need a place to stay for BUTCH Voices Portland? Looking for a roommate or a rideshare? Have a guest room or couch to lend out to a conference attendee? Willing to share a ride to or from an event? Contact Aj at email@example.com.
Sponsorship packages are available as well as pricing to advertise in the BUTCH Voices Portland Regional Conference program. Limited space is available for vendors and resource tables. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Interactive campus map for Portland State University.
When & Where
The mission of BUTCH Voices is to enhance and sustain the well-being of all women, female-bodied, and trans-identified individuals who are masculine of center*. We achieve this by providing programs that build community, positive visibility and empower us to advocate for our whole selves inclusive of and beyond our gender identity and sexual orientation.