San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Join us to learn how to quickly create mobile apps for iOS, Android, Windows Phone or mobile browsers! We will review the important mobile features of standards like HTML5 and CSS. You will learn how to use a mobile UI framework (jQuery Mobile), how to package your app with a native bridge (PhoneGap or Trigger.io) and how to add app features with a Backend-as-a-Service (Apigee App Services / Usergrid). By the end of the workshop, we will have built a fully-featured app, ready for release on the app store, without having written a single line of server-side code!
This workshop will be comprised of a 1-hour overview of the topics and technologies, and 4 hours of hands-on coding through an example app, step by step, with plenty of time to follow along on your own computer and ask questions, and 2 hours of customization at the end with the help of the tutor.
Pre-requisites: a basic understanding of HTML & CSS will be useful, as well as some programming experience (understanding of variables, functions, HTTP, etc.) in any language. No software required except a web browser and your favorite text editor.
9am–noon : “Build your first mobile app with HTML5 and a Backend-as-a-Service”
- Intro HTML5 and Mobile Apps
- Building your static app (jQuery Mobile or alternatives)
- Load data dynamically into your app with Apigee App Services
- Make your code run as a native app on your Android or iOS device (PhoneGap or Trigger.io)
Lunch (provided by Apigee)
1pm–5pm: “Building Social, Local or Gamification into your app”
This second session continues from the morning session, or lets more experienced users (including people who prefer to develop in another language) dive in directly.
- Adding user accounts to your mobile app
- Building social features: friends, follows and newsfeeds
- Geolocation / Gamification (2 hours, pick your own adventure block from 2 prepared training scenarios, with room to make this app your own: you can choose to add a currency system, a one-one-one messaging system, a geotargetting element, etc. — allowing you take the morning app in a number of different directions)
Demo your App to the group & Drinks!
About the Instructor
This one-day training session will be taught by Tim Anglade, public speaker, former Computer Science lecturer and Head of Developer Programs at Apigee. Tim has spoken about app development around the world, from OSCON to Oredev & GoGaRuco, and met with mobile app developers from Silicon Valley to Seoul. He most recently gave this training at the Global Mobile Internet Conference in San Jose and at the Kings of Code conference in Amsterdam. You can find him on Twitter as @timanglade.
When & Where
Apigee makes it easy for developers to build apps powered by APIs, manage and scale their APIs, and get real-time insights into their digital presence. Learn more at http://developers.apigee.com/