‘Continuing Education & Networking Event’
May 20, 2014
6 AIA HSW Credit Hours towards your state license.
1 GBCI General CE Hour for LEED Professionals
8:00 AM Registration Begins
Morning pastries, fruit and coffee provided.
8:30 - 9:30 AM (8:30 - 9:35 confirmed by DR)
Roof Gardens, Basic Design Principles
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course Number: 00G106
Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: Richard Stever
This one-hour course includes the learning of proper design principles for Roof Gardens.
Subjects include proper membrane selection and application, drainage principles, plant
selection, methods of vegetation and the performance advantages of Roof Garden implementation.
Attendees will also learn various methods of Roof Garden installation as well as advantages and
disadvantages of traditional and modular Roof Garden systems.
1: Understanding the three main types and why one is used over the over.
2: Understanding installation procedure.
3: Understanding common vegetation types.
4: Understanding industry trends and advantage of Roof Gardens.
9:40 - 10:40 AM (on time)
Use of Snow Retention Devices: Science or Fiction?
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: ISF07A
AIA Provider: InfoSpec Inc.
Presenter: David Stahler
Discover the art and science of snow control and its effects, such as snow migration on rooftops of structures. Learn about the common myths and misperceptions regarding snow retention, as well as the do's and don’ts of retention devices, product selection, and site specifics.
1. Describe the history of snow control on rooftops.
2. Explain when and where you should or shouldn't use snow retention devices.
3. List the common myths and misperceptions regarding snow retention.
4. List the common pitfalls of product selection and site specifics.
5. Describe how to value engineer snow retention systems without sacrificing performance.
6. Explain the proper selection and specification of snow guards.
10:50 - 11:50 AM (10:50 - 11:45)
Locker Solutions for Every Place and Purpose
1 AIA HSW CE Hour |AIA Course #: ISP10E
AIA Provider: Infospec, Inc.
Sponsor: Scranton Products
Presenter: Jim Rodgers
Lockers come in many shapes and sizes. In this one hour course, we will discuss uses for lockers,
material choices and accessories. We will learn about ADA compliance and sustainability as it
relates to lockers, and we will take a look at different options that add to the visual appeal,
and options that make for an easier user experience.
1. Compare and contrast different material types for lockers in terms of their makeup, maintenance,
life span, and sustainable benefits to occupants and the environment
2. Identify different applications for HDPE plastic lockers and discuss design options that make them
more user-friendly, ADA compliant, and aesthetically pleasing to end users based on those applications.
3. Identify the health and environmental benefits of specifying HDPE plastic lockers made from 100%
4. Discuss fire code compliance of lockers and explain the importance of recognizing NFPA 286.
12:00 PM Lunch Provided
12:30 - 1:30 PM 12:15 - 1:10 pm)
Surface Innovation - Redefining Boundaries of Interior and Exterior Spaces with Ultracompact Surfacing - 'Delton'
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #:COS06E
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Presenter: Glenn Kross
In this course, we explore a cutting edge surfacing technology, ultracompact surfacing. Gain insight into how this surfacing material possesses the same characteristics of natural stone while providing unmatched color and design flexibility.
1. Discuss the evolution of surfaces and the various types of surfacing material for interior and exterior applications.
2. Define ultracompact surfacing and the innovative production process that creates
intrinsically unique properties.
3. Discuss designing with ultracompact surfaces in terms color, texture, and format
4. Discuss the advantages of compact surfaces in terms of strength, durability, and chemical
resistance, absorption, abrasion resistance, and ASTM testing
5. Identify possible interior/exterior application options with ultracompact surfacing material.
1:40 - 2:40 PM (1:15 - 2:15pm)
Next Generation Green Restroom Design
1 AIA HSW Credit Hour | AIA Course #: IEX00A
USGBC Course ID: 910000371
AIA Provider: Excel Dryer
Presenter: Joseph Hickson
This course provides an overview of the newest technologies in high-efficiency plumbing products
and high-speed, Energy-efficient hand dryers. It offers compelling evidence of the economical,
environmental and practical benefits of sustainable restroom design based on established research
and statistical data. Topics covered include water conversation and energy efficiency strategies,
criteria for selecting best-practice green building restroom, products, and applicability to green
building programs, certifications and standards.
• Recognize the imperative to conserve water, energy and other natural resources in buildings and
describe the environment, health and economic benefits of reduced water and energy use from
high-efficiency restroom products.
• Define and select high-efficiency plumbing fixtures and hand dryers and understand the economic
and Environments benefits of measuring the carbon footprint of products and processes through
• Apply restroom design and product selection strategies to earn LEED points and other certifications.
• List financial and maintenance benefits of the high-speed, energy-efficient dryers.
2:50 - 3:50 PM (2:20 - 3:20 pm)
Densified Concrete & Densified Polished Concrete
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: CDI102
AIA Provider: Curcrete Distribution, Inc.
Presenter: Deke Rife
Learn more about the differences between densified concrete and densified-polished concrete.
Identify how chemical densifiers can enhance the performance of concrete floors and the many
alternatives and choices that are available on the market today. Also learn more about densified-polished
concrete and how this process takes densified concrete one step further, providing all the benefits of a
chemically densified floor, with an aesthetically pleasing decorative finish.
1. Identify the differences between "densified concrete" and "densified-polished concrete."
2. Identify the challenges, disadvantages of using floor coatings and membranes as
opposed to chemical densifiers.
3. Identify the advantages of using chemical densifiers over floor coatings and
membranes. Identify the added benefits that polishing can add to densified concrete
and the low life cycle cost factor when compared to other types of flooring materials
and coverings such as tile, terrazzo, etc.
4. Learn how the process of concrete densification eliminates the need for additional
applications, and can enhance the overall performance of concrete for the life of the
floors, when using the right chemical densifier product.
This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes.
When & Where
CE Academy, Inc.
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email email@example.com.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.