Get ready for baby in this class for first-time or long-time-between expectant parents. Learn about preparing for labor and the stages of labor, delivery, and practice breathing and relaxation exercises that help you through labor. Pain-relief options, medical interventions, and a tour of the Obstetrics Department are also covered. In addition, information on feeding and welcoming baby into your home is presented.
“There’s more to birth than just getting the baby out”
Welcome to Birthing Basics!
Please bring 2 pillows to the class. Juice and water will be provided.
Today will be filled with discussion, videos, plenty of time for questions, hands on practice, games, and of course some fun. There’s a lot of information to take in, so sit back, take a deep breath, and we’ll get started soon. Here’s what our day will look like:
- Anatomy and Physiology – Discussion
- Understanding labor – Discussion and DVD
Stages of Labor
First Stage: Early, Active, Transition
Second Stage: Pushing Techniques, Progressive relaxation – Hands on Practice
Third Stage: Delivery of the Placenta
- Recognizing labor / Timing Contractions
- Introduce Breathing Techniques
- Understanding comfort measures – Discussion, Hands on Practice
- When and How to Push – Hands on Practice
- DVD – “Rhythm, Relaxation, and Ritual”
- Conditioned Relaxation – Nap time!
- Yeah…LUNCH @ 12:00 or 12:30; for one hour
- Breathing and pain management exercises – Hands on Practice
- Debra’s Birth – DVD “Debra’s birth”
- What to bring to the hospital
- Warning Signs & Premature Labor
- Understanding interventions and pain medication – Discussion and DVD “Understanding interventions”
- Cesarean Birth – Discussion and DVD “Cesarean Birth”
- Tour of the Maternity Ward
- Normal Newborns and Procedures – DVD
- Review and Evaluations
Community Medical Center
Our Mission: Your Health - our commitment to you, from day one.
Our Vision: We are Community, providing safe and trusted healthcare, where people thrive, patients heal and families grow.
Services and Specialties: Services at Community Medical Center include:
- 24-hour, physician-staffed emergency department
- acute medical and surgical hospital
- adult intensive care
- pediatric intensive care
- neonatal intensive care
- laboratory services
- radiology services
- nuclear medicine
- respiratory therapy
- Joint Reconstruction Center
- The Montana Heart Center
- Montana Breast Health
- Community Rehabilitation Center
- primary care and specialty providers