Biopathways Partnership Network meeting
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 from 2:30 PM to 7:00 PM (EDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
From Sustainable Forest Management to Sustainable Consumer Products:
Bridging the Gap
Biopathways Partnership Network (BPN) Workshop
Room 510AC, Palais des Congrès de Montréal, Montréal, QC
2:30 pm – 5:20 pm, Wednesday, June 19, 2013
A major challenge for the global economy as it struggles to recover from the financial crisis is how to grow sustainably. The first step is judicious use of all resources. The second step is to optimize the use of renewable resources. This requires sustainable management of renewable resources and use of these resources to produce sustainable consumer products.
Canada’s forest products industry has implemented an internationally recognized sustainable forest management system and therefore has the potential to be an important partner in development of sustainable consumer products and the value chains that support them.
After the BIO World Congress plenary luncheon on Wednesday June 19th, the Biopathways Partnership Network will be holding a meeting to discuss how companies can use sustainably harvested Canadian wood fibre as feedstocks for inputs to sustainable consumer products.
Expect to hear from world-leading companies, such as Unilever, Momentive Specialty Chemicals and others. Learn about their sustainability plans, efforts to use bio-based materials, and what their requirements are for such inputs. Also, the meeting will start with a presentation from FPAC on wood fibre as a sustainable feedstock, status of the Canadian forest industry, and partnership opportunities.
A host reception will follow from 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm. Participation is FREE. We have space for only 100 attendees, so register now! To register for the BPN visit: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5318531872.
As an added benefit, attendees to this meeting are eligible for a discount for the BIO World Congress. The best rate is available until May 3! When registering for the World Congress use the code F380336006. To register for the World Congress visit: http://www.bio.org/events/conferences/world-congress.
14:30 – 14:50 Welcome and Objectives (Paul Lansbergen, FPAC)
Round Table Introductions
A Forest Industry Perspective – opportunities from sustainably managed forests (Paul Lansbergen, FPAC)
14:50 – 15:50 Sustainable Consumer Products and Approaches for Producing Them
- Superior functionality and sustainably sourced material requirements (Dr. Neil Parry, R&D Director, Biotechnology Science Leader, Unilever R&D)
- Title TBD (Hiroshi Mouri, President, Bridgestone Americas Center for Research & Technology)
- Bioeconomy: Feedstock challenge and product options (Dr. Manfred Kircher, Chairman of the Advisory Board, CLIB 2021)
15:50 – 16:05 Q&A and discussion
16:05 – 17:05 Value Chains for Sustainable Products – Role of Ingredient Suppliers
- Helping our customers make their products more sustainable (David Jones, Global VP, Momentive Specialty Chemicals)
- Bioplastics from woody biomass (Peter Baets, Senior Project Manager, Purac)
- Utilization of Canadian Lignocellulosics into Industrial Bioproducts(Minh Tan TON-THAT, PhD, Senior Research Officer, Polymer Bioproducts, Advanced Materials Design, Automotive Portfolio, National Research Council)
17:05 – 17:15 Q&A and discussion
17:15 – 17:20 Summary and close
17:30 – 19:30 Reception