Big Red & Blues Vintage Dance Weekend 2014
Friday, March 28, 2014 at 8:00 PM - Sunday, March 30, 2014 at 5:30 PM
IU Swing Club Presents:
Big Red & Blues Vintage Dance Weekend!
March 28-30, 2014
Big Red is back again and we’re adding a new color. Choose your own adventure! Select a full weekend track of Lindy Hop or Blues. Sample the local fare during breaks. Peruse local vintage shops. Take a selfie with Hoagy Carmichael’s statue. And dance to all the songs.
FOUR dances. Jazz and blues, Friday and Saturday!
We've got the Double Digits, a jam session with Lost Catfish, Miss Jubilee, and some fabulous DJs!
This year we have two full weekend tracks to choose from — a full track in Lindy Hop and a full weekend track in Blues! (Check back later for schedule and details.)
We're importing some of the best insructors from both coasts:
Friday night — we are proud to introduce the competition with the Best. Name. Ever, the Red Solo Cup — a chance to showcase your finest solo jazz and blues moves!
Saturday night — Get coupled up in a Lindy Hop Jack & Jill competition!
Saturday late night — experience the amazing Blues Obstacle Course!
Whether you choose to compete or just watch and admire, the talent on display will be something to remember!
The daytime instruction on Saturday and Sunday will take place in Rooms 169 and 171 of the Wildermuth Intramural Center.
The Friday and Saturday night dances will be held at Panache dance studio, at 325 E Winslow Rd Bloomington, IN 47401
The IU Swing Club always strives to make its workshops as affordable as possible for everybody, and to offer incredible value for your money. For this event, the prices are:
- Super early bird registration: Just $40 for the first ten registrants!
- Early bird registration: Just $55 for the next ten registrants (through Thursday, February 13)!
- Discount registration: $65 through Thursday, March 13.
- Full price registration: $75 through Monday, March 24.
- Extra discount! $10 off if you're a student (not just at IU, but anywhere), or if you're a member of the IU Swing Club (whether you're a student or not)! (Only applies after the Super Early Bird period.)
- Friday Night Dance: Just $10 if you're attending the dance but not the whole workshop!
- Saturday Night Dance: Continuing our popular "Will Dance For Food" tradition of making Saturday's dance a charity benefit, there is no charge for admission, but we ask everyone (whether you're attending the full Workshop or not) to please bring a can of food to donate to the Hoosier Hills Food Bank.
IU Parking Locations
Parking in all University garages is free from 6:00 PM Friday until 7:00 AM Monday. This does not include IMU Paid Lot No. 1 and IMU Paid Lot No. 2. The closest garages to Wildermuth are on Jordan Avenue, and at 11th St. & Fee Lane.
Our venue for the dances is situated within a small shopping center with plenty of free parking.