As you know, smartphones play a central role in our lives today. They are our personal data hub with powerful sensing capabilities connected to any network or remote resources, and allow access to our data anytime anywhere. These capabilities are the essential enablers to context awareness, where users’ behaviors can be understood to ensure that the right information at the right time in the right format can be delivered, and that their needs can even be anticipated so services can be provided that simplify and enrich their lives.
In this one-day event, we will explore the future of context awareness, focusing on mobility scenarios. Specifically, we will address the ‘what and how’ of bringing sophisticated and advanced context awareness beyond sensor fusion, where smartphones (including wearable or peripheral devices) play an essential role.
The rapidly growing number and types of sensors in mobile devices, together with the smartphone’s capability to connect to any source of information, allow us to dream of the endless possibilities of new context aware features. Here we will address what can be context awareness, and how to achieve it. This will be presented through topics such as:
- What is truly useful to enhance the user’s experience
- How to extend the user’s senses beyond the natural ones
- How smartphones and wearable devices can know, measure and help the user, make my life healthier.
The technical playground we will therefore consider is the resources of a smartphone (such as sensors, the peripheral processing units and application processor, GNSS/WIFI/RF Chips, connectivity,) and the cloud as a resource for storage, processing and learning and the place where crowd data is available. We’ll address:
- The challenges and constraints of deploying context aware applications, including cost and power consumption
- How the smartphone and connected peripheral sensors can measure physical and environmental activities
- The inclusion of more sensors as we extend and gather data.
Due to room capacity limitations and to guarantee the quality of attendees in relation to the industry, registrants will be submitted to an approval process. By registering to this event, you will be applying for approval.