Bay Nature Local Hero Awards Dinner 2015
- Charity & Causes
- Scott's Seafood (Pavilion), Oakland CA
The restored wetlands of the Napa-Sonoma Marshes Wildlife Area are really only accessible from the water, so we’re partnering with Bay Nature advertiser Dolphin Charters to offer an educational cruise up and down the Napa River on the Delphinus, skippered by Captain Ronn Patterson, who knows this area inside and out. We’re also partnering with the San Francisco Bay Joint Venture, who will bring along some folks who have had first-hand experience working on these projects, and who will also help us identify some of the many shorebirds and waterfowl we’ll see along the way.
We’ll be boarding the boat at the Vallejo Marina, then heading south past Mare Island to the mouth of the Napa River where it meets San Pablo Bay. Then we’ll reverse course and head north past Vallejo and American Canyon to view the former salt ponds that are now in various stages of being restored to tidal influence.
Photos by Russ Lowgren
The Bay Nature Institute, based in Berkeley, California, is dedicated to educating the people of the San Francisco Bay Area about, and celebrating the beauty of, the surrounding natural world. We do so with the aim of inspiring residents to explore and preserve the diverse and unique natural heritage of the region, and of nurturing productive relationships among the many organizations and individuals working towards these same goals. Bay Nature's programs include:
1. Bay Nature magazine, a full-color quarterly publication launched in January 2001 that explores the landscapes and wildlife of the Bay Area, and highlights the people and organizations that are working to understand them, protect them, and educate others about them. You can subscribe to Bay Nature online; back issues may also be purchased online.
2. Bay Nature Hikes & Events consists of free naturalist-led hikes and outings to places featured in the magazine, as well as occasional community events.
3. Bay Nature on the Air is a series of short video spots that run in between regularly-scheduled programs on Northern California public television stations. The 2-1/2 minute shorts showcase the natural diversity of Northern California and highlight the efforts of organizations and individuals who work on its behalf.
4. BayNature.org is an online gateway to experiences in the natural world of the San Francisco Bay Area, providing access to all Bay Nature content, searchable by topic or location.
In order to purchase these tickets in installments, you'll need an Eventbrite account. Log in or sign up for a free account to continue.