Wednesday, Sept. 10th, 2014
at the Verdi Club, 2424 Mariposa / San Francisco, CA
Remember: Doors at 7, Stories at 8!
- Savage LoveCast host & Author Dan Savage
- Kinky Salon Founder & Author Polly Superstar
- The Haze solo show performer Heather Marlowe
- Tech by Injection/Artist/VelociCougar Suzanne Forbes
- Queer submissive & BawdySlam Champion Matt Matthews
- GirlSex 101/Lesbian Werewolf author Allison Moon
- New Bawdy Songs by by Rachel Lark
- A YOLO-themed Bang-O, Sexy Cocktails & More
- Organic ice cream treats from Twirl and Dip soft serve
- VIP gifts from Wet Lubricants
- Bang-O Prizes from LELO & Wet Lubricants
Sept's theme: YOLO is an acronym for "You Only Live Once". Similar to carpe diem or memento mori, it implies that one should enjoy life, even if that entails taking risks – and is especially useful to rationalize impulsive or reckless behavior.
Bawdy Storytelling - the Original Sex + Storytelling series - features Real People & Rockstars sharing their Bona Fide Sexual Exploits Live Onstage; think of us as a One Night Stand with the Moth & Savage Love. Storytellers are an eclectic mix of Authors, Porn Stars, Sex Educators, & Comics - along with Regular Joes just like you who submitted their stories online and were chosen for their panache and sense of (Mis)Adventure.
Bawdy Storytelling features tales of Carnal Wins & Epic Fails with No Scripts, No Nets, and No Holds Barred. These folks aren't reading from cue cards: this is honest-to-badness story time with true sexcapades and poignant, transformational tales at each and every show. Join Sexual Folklorist Dixie De La Tour, Sexuality Rockstars like Polly Superstar & many more as they share their own stories of Love, Lust, and making you feel funny in your bathing suit area. Hey, you may even go home with a few new tricks for your boudoir arsenal!
More at www.BawdyStorytelling.com
- Dan Savage is a writer, TV personality, and activist best known for his political and social commentary, as well as his honest approach to sex, love and relationships.
Savage’s sex advice column, “Savage Love,” is syndicated in newspapers and websites throughout the United States, Canada, Europe and Asia. He is the Editorial Director of The Stranger, Seattle’s weekly alternative newspaper, and his writing has appeared in publications including The New York Times, The New York Times Magazine, GQ, Rolling Stone, The Onion, and on Salon.com.
As an author, Savage’s books include: American Savage: Insights, Slights and Fights on Faith, Sex, Love, and Politics; Savage Love; The Kid: What Happened When My Boyfriend and I Decided to Get Pregnant (PEN West Award for Creative Nonfiction, Lambda Literary Award for Nonfiction); Skipping Towards Gomorrah: The Seven Deadly Sins and the Pursuit of Happiness in America; The Commitment: Love, Sex, Marriage and My Family, and co-author of How to be a Person.
In addition to his appearances on CNN, MSNBC, and The Colbert Report, Savage is a contributor to Ira Glass’s This American Life, and has appeared on NPR’s Fresh Air with Terry Gross, HBO’s Real Time with Bill Maher, and ABC’s 20/20. Savage is a frequent and popular speaker on college campuses across the United States and Canada.
In September 2010, Savage and his husband Terry Miller created a YouTube video to inspire hope for LGBT young people facing harassment. In response to a number of students taking their own lives, Savage and Miller wanted to create a personal message to let LGBT youth know that “it gets better”. Today, the It Gets Better Project (www.itgetsbetter.org) has become a global movement, inspiring more than 50,000 It Gets Better videos viewed over 50 million times. The It Gets Better book, co-edited by Savage and Miller, was published in March 2011, and two It Gets Better, documentary specials have aired on MTV. In 2012 the It Gets Better Project received the Governors Award Emmy from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
Dan Savage grew up in Chicago and now lives in Seattle, Washington with his husband and their son, DJ.
- Polly Superstar (née Whittaker) is a 21st century sex culture revolutionary. She has dedicated her life to sexually progressive community as a latex fashion designer, a creator of arty, sexy parties, and a spokesperson for sex culture. Born in London, England, in 1974, she is the daughter of a hot air balloon pilot and a sex therapist. She relocated to San Francisco—home of the sexual revolution—in 1999. Her award-winning event, Kinky Salon, takes place in a dozen cities across Europe and North America. She recently joined forces with Christopher Ryan, Author of NYT Bestselling Book Sex at Dawn to create Kotango.com—a social network for global sex culture. Contact Polly at www.sexculturerevolutionary.com
- Heather Marlowe has been on stage as an actress/performer, dancer, and musician since 2007. She has studied theater and performance with Kristin Linklater, Gabrielle Roth, and at Berkeley Repertory and American Conservatory Theater. Her one woman play, THE HAZE is currently playing at The Costume Shop at ACT this September, 2014. Her work has been recently seen at Porchlight Storytelling Series, W. Kamau Bell’s Solo Performance Workshop, and Boxcar Theatre. As a violinist and vocalist she has performed with San Francisco based bands Thee Landlords and Winchester Revival. Heather is currently working on Girl Scout Cookies, a screenplay about a porn star on the lam who must confront her dark past after being stuck taking care of her older brother’s rebellious foster child for the summer.
- Allison Moon is the author of the Tales of the Pack series about lesbian werewolves. She’s also a sex educator who has presented workshops to thousands of people around the US and Canada. She’s currently creating her new book about queer girl sex, called Girl Sex 101: http://bitly.com/girlsex101
- VelociCougar Suzanne Forbes is an expat New Yorker who has spent the last 17 years failing to adapt to the Bay Area. She was trained as an artist at the Art Students League, Parsons and the School of Visual Arts, and has a BFA in Fine Art from the Minneapolis College of Art & Design. Her art career includes stints as a courtroom artist for CBS, two years as the regular penciller on DC Comics classic Star Trek book, and hundreds of hours of live drawing at Bay Area fetish and sex events. After repeatedly dating and marrying young tech guys, she gave in and became a tech marketer to get some use out of all the jargon. She loves beauty, values kindness, and eats lots of cake.
- Matt Matthews studied to be a journalist like Joan Didion, but discovered he was more inspired by Joan Rivers. He is the BawdySlam 2013 Championship winner and is always looking to expand his range of dick jokes. He is currently working on a collection of essays about bad dates and sex positivity.
- Rachel Lark is a multi-instrumentalist rock star. Also known as “that girl with the toy piano” and “this crazy chick who plays drums backwards,” Lark has been stunning audiences throughout the bay with her special blend of unique arrangements and deadly songwriting. She also doubles as half of the dream pop duo, Snow Angel, and the lead singer for local prog-rockers, Antioquia. Check her out at larksongs.com or download her new album (including her songs written just for Bawdy!) at http://rachellark.bandcamp.com/
* Line-up subject to change
* No refunds or exchanges
* General Admission seating is limited. Doors open at 7 PM; we recommend you arrive by 7:15 for good seating
“The Moth for Pervs” – LA Weekly
The Nation’s Original Sex + Storytelling series featuring Real People & Rockstars sharing their Bona Fide Sexual Exploits in 10 minutes or less
“Dixie De La Tour’s scandalous, over-the-top Bawdy Storytelling series” – SF Weekly
Winner of the SF Weekly’s Best of San Francisco, the LA Weekly’s Best Of Los Angeles & 2 Time Winner of the SF Bay Guardian’s Best of the Bay Award
When & Where
Bawdy Storytelling ("The Moth for Pervs" - LA Weekly) is America's Original Sex+Storytelling series featuring Real People & Rockstars sharing their bona fide sexual exploits, live onstage. This award-winning performance series is currently monthly in San Francisco and Los Angeles, & expanding to new cities every day. Storytellers are an eclectic mix of authors, sex educators, poets, comedians and actors - along with real people just like YOU who have submitted their stories online and were chosen for their panache and sense of (mis)adventure.
Wanna get Bawdy? Contact Dixie@BawdyStorytelling.com