Bawdy Storytelling's 'Sex Geek Secrets' (LA)
Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM (PDT)
Los Angeles, CA
- Nerdist Network podcast host Sex Nerd Sandra
- Sex educator & Role Model Reid Mihalko
- Sexuality Geek Jaiya Ma
- Physicist & Pornstar Ned Mayhem
- Comedian & Agorafabulous! Author Sara Benincasa
- Atmospheric Scientist Ted
- Special Musical Guests, Windows to Sky
Hey smarty, wanna party? If you're finding yourself drawn to that professorial pin-up boy, Dr. Stephen Hawking; if you do the Sunday Times crossword in pen, or have impure thoughts about what you could do with a retro-fitted Large Hadron Collider (the "largest Fleshlight™ in the world!"), then this is the evening for you. On June 27th, Bawdy will be part of Sex Nerd Sandra’s 100th podcast on the Nerdist.com network, and together we’re creating an event dedicated to those size queens who salivate at the flash of a MENSA membership card, rather than a massive package. I mean, naughty bits are awesome but we say: show us your naked BRAIN!
Bawdy Storytelling- the girl who wants to put her Heidegger in your Derrida - presents an evening of real world Einsteins with big libidos and even bigger IQs. Our handpicked line-up of pervy brainiacs will put down their copy of Kant's "Groundwork of the Metaphysic of Morals," put their pants back on, & spend a Thursday night telling you true stories that illustrate where their ‘intellect’ and ‘sex drive’ Venn diagrams intersect. Those nerds on "The Big Bang Theory" have no idea what a really big bang is about, do they? Join us on June 27th at Busby’s East and let’s celebrate the cerebellum, Bawdy style!
Tickets are $12 in advance / $15 at the door
Remember: Doors at 7, Stories at 8!
- Sandra Daugherty (Sex Nerd Sandra) is a passionate sex educator based in Los Angeles. Her irreverent humor and quirky love for details has given rise to her moniker, Sex Nerd Sandra. Sandra is the resident sex blogger on Chris Hardwick’s Nerdist.com. She also works & teaches at The Pleasure Chest in Los Angeles and coaches individuals. She has been seen on ‘Keeping Up with the Kardashians,’ the pilot episode of The Wanda Sykes Show, & has also lent her voice to both Playboy and Spice Radio. Sandra believes human sexuality should be a distinct field of study as it is a distinct & important aspect of our lives. And she, for one is happy, quite happy, to study it.
- Sex and relationship expert Reid Mihalko teaches adults how to create more self-esteem, self-confidence and greater health and satisfaction in and out of the bedroom. Reid is a sought after speaker who lectures at colleges across the country and has presented and keynoted at dozens of conferences on relationships and sexuality. The workshops he’s designed continue to be taught all over the world and have been attended by over 40,000 people. Reid has appeared on CBS’ The Doctors, Oprah’s Our America with Lisa Ling on OWN, Bravo’s Miss Advised, the Emmy award-winning talk show Montel, Fox News, VH1, Showtime’s Penn & Teller’s Bulls**t!, on NPR, Sirius’ Maxim Radio and Cosmo Radio, and in Marie Claire, GQ, Details, Seventeen, People, Newsweek, The Washington Post and The National Enquirer, as well as media across the globe in twenty-seven countries and at least fourteen languages.
- Jaiya Ma is an award-winning somatic sexologist, author of Blow Each Other Away and Red Hot Touch, and the founder of New World Sex Education. Jaiya understands that throughout life sexuality changes and strives to meet her students wherever they are on their personal path to greater pleasure. Her mission in the world is to shift the cultural view of sex as something bad or wrong to something that is cultivated and celebrated. You may have seen Jaiya on The Doctors, Joy Behar, TMZ, Nightline, Good Morning America, Inside Edition, The Tyra Banks Show, TLC, CNN, Oxygen Network, or Playboy TV.
- Ned Mayhem is a physics graduate student who moonlights as a queer porn performer. Ned co-founded the PSIgasm Project in 2010 with his partner and the project's brainparent, Maggie Mayhem. When they aren't hacking dildos to quantify arousal response, Ned and Maggie run the independent DIY porn site MeetTheMayhems.com showcasing the couple's own brand of perversely heartwarming queer sexuality. As an adult performer Ned has appeared in films that have been recognized at Cinekink, AVN, and the Feminist Porn Awards. Ned also uses the software he has developed for MeetTheMayhems to empower other adult performers and independent studios to control their own web presence. Ned’s software runs such a bunch of sexy local queer sights, and he talks and writes about his love of queer porn technology as often and widely as possible. If you want to chat - or screw - drop him a line!
- Sara Benincasa is an award-winning comedian and author of the book Agorafabulous, from William Morrow (a division of HarperCollins), a book based on her critically acclaimed solo show about panic attacks and agoraphobia. Her outspoken, sexually-charged comedy has won praise from the Chicago Tribune, CNN, The Guardian, and The New York Times, and has earned her an ECNY (Emerging Comedian of New York) Award and a Webby nomination. Sara’s television appearances include NBC's Today Show, the CBS Early Show, CNN's Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, MTV News, & more.
- As the son of a college professor, Ted (the rest of his name is a secret, shhhhh) is more than willing to help a friend with a research project, even when that request is a little bit…unusual. Despite his best efforts to avoid his academic destiny by running, skiing, and building things, Ted is currently working on a Ph.D., unfortunately in neither sex nor storytelling.
- Windows to Sky is an alternative acoustic anachronistic journey through thick dark harmonies and whimsical instrumentations. Spooky and lovely; wistful and strong; Windows to Sky combines vintage sounds and 21st century cynicism. The band's ever-evolving membership has performed at parties, clubs, coffeehouses, restaurants, midnight movie screenings, respected venues (Molly Malone's, M Bar), special events (New House Variety Nights, Wig Out!, Burning Man Decom, Hollywood Fringe Festival, LoJ, Downtown Disney on Hallowe'en), nudist colonies, and classy orgies throughout the land.
When & Where
Bawdy Storytelling ("The Moth for Pervs" - LA Weekly) is America's Original Sex+Storytelling series featuring Real People & Rockstars sharing their bona fide sexual exploits in 10 minutes of less. This award-winning performance series is currently monthly in San Francisco and Los Angeles, & expanding to new cities every day. Storytellers are an eclectic mix of authors, sex educators, poets, comedians and actors - along with real people just like YOU who have submitted their stories online and were chosen for their panache and sense of (mis)adventure.
Wanna get Bawdy? Contact Dixie@BawdyStorytelling.com