San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Wednesday, May 14th 2014
at the Verdi Club, 2424 Mariposa / San Francisco, CA
Remember: Doors at 7, Stories at 8
- Master Storyteller Mike Daisey
- Polyamorous Playwright Beth Hersh
- Godless Pervert Greta Christina
- Technically Adept Danjo
- Stage Newbie/Pole Dancing Instructor Keirsten
- Music by Rachel Lark
- Boylesque star Enormvs Muñoz
- Sexy cocktails (Schlong Island Iced Tea, anyone?)
- Bang-O, Bawdy's uniquely pervy audience participation game
- Prizes from Pleasures of the Heart San Rafael
- Plus Birthday Cupcakes for (just about) everyone!
It's Dixie De La Tour's Birthday Party. Come be her Present!
Bawdy Storytelling - the Original Sex + Storytelling series - features Real People & Rockstars sharing their Bona Fide Sexual Exploits Live Onstage; think of us as a One Night Stand with the Moth & Savage Love. Storytellers are an eclectic mix of Authors, Porn Stars, Sex Educators, Comics & More, along with Regular Joes just like you who submitted their stories online and were chosen for their panache and sense of (Mis)Adventure.
If you’ve been telling your friends about this Award-winning event, this month's show is a great intro to what Bawdy Storytelling is: edgy, explicit and informational, social, and the most fun take on sex-positivity you’ll ever get your husband/co-workers/landlord to attend with you. Sex education is great, but personal storytelling about your antics? Um, YEAH. True stories of bad decisions? Check. Sexual Experimentation with hilarious results? We’ve got that. Poignant, well-told tales? It's always part of our plan. And if you find an angle to this theme that's without representation, turn to your neighbor and help us cover ALL the bases.
- Mike Daisey has been called “the master storyteller” and “one of the finest solo performers of his generation” by The New York Times for his groundbreaking monologues which weave together autobiography, gonzo journalism, and unscripted performance to tell hilarious and heartbreaking stories that cut to the bone, exposing secret histories and unexpected connections. His controversial work, The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs, was recognized as one of the year’s best theater pieces by The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Seattle Times, Seattle Weekly, San Jose Mercury News, and The San Francisco Bay Guardian. As a playwright, his transcript of The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs was downloaded over 100,000 times in the first week it was made available. Under a revolutionary open license it has seen more than forty productions around the world and been translated into six languages. The first Chinese production opened last year in Beijing, and will tour to Hong Kong and Shenzhen this year.
He has performed in venues on five continents, ranging from Off-Broadway at the Public Theater to remote islands in the South Pacific, from the Sydney Opera House to an abandoned theater in post-Communist Tajikistan. He’s been a guest on Real Time with Bill Maher, the Late Show with David Letterman, a longtime host and storyteller for The Moth, as well as a commentator and contributor to The New York Times, The Guardian, Harper’s Magazine, The Daily Beast, WIRED, Vanity Fair, Slate, Salon, NPR and the BBC. In a brief, meteoric career with This American Life, his two shows are the most listened to and downloaded episodes of that program’s eighteen year history. He is currently at work on his second book, an anthology of his monologues, and he stars in the Lawrence Krauser feature Horrible Child. He has been nominated for the Outer Critics Circle Award, two Drama League Awards, and is the recipient of the Bay Area Critics Circle Award, five Seattle Times Footlight Awards, the Sloan Foundation’s Galileo Prize, and a MacDowell Fellowship.
- Beth Hersh is a writer and theatrical designer in the Bay Area. She is currently earning her MFA in creative writing and has had readings of her work in Seattle, New York and San Francisco. Her new play Bad Hotel will receive readings in Palo Alto and in San Francisco this spring. Most resent design works include lighting design for Arts ED and Theater Rhinoceros, and sound design for Stanford University.
- Danjo leads a double life. A member of the high-tech elite by day, and a photographer, banjo player, and organizer of outlaw events the rest of the time. A veteran of the Bawdy stage, Danjo has previously told tales of his first sex party with the cast of the Rocky Horror Picture Show midnight revival at the young age of 15, and how he lost his virginity to a woman in a foreign country that he met on the Internet.
- Greta Christina has been writing professionally since 1989, about sex, atheism, politics, culture, and whatever crosses her mind. She is author of "Coming Out Atheist: How to Do It, How to Help Each Other, and "Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless," and "Bending: Dirty Kinky Stories About Pain, Power, Religion, Unicorns, & More," and is editor of "Paying For It: A Guide by Sex Workers for Their Clients." She's written for Ms., Penthouse, AlterNet, Salon, and three volumes of "Best American Erotica." She is co-founder and co-organizer of the Godless Perverts, a performance series and social community that promotes a positive view of sexuality without religion.She blogs at Greta Christina's Blog, and tweets at @GretaChristina .
- Keirsten comes to you straight from her magical Jekyll and Hyde dork land that spans such extremes as once being a professional ballerina to currently performing aerial chains in and around SF. She has published nothing and never writes, and her theater resume spans a couple plays in high school. Her birthday last week has given her the balls to get onstage and tell an embarrassing sex story about _____ for the first time. She's freaking out!
* Line-up subject to change
* No refunds or exchanges
* General Admission seating is limited. Doors open at 7 PM; we recommend you arrive by 7:15 for good seating
“The Moth for Pervs” – LA Weekly
The Nation’s Original Sex + Storytelling series featuring Real People & Rockstars sharing their Bona Fide Sexual Exploits in 10 minutes or less
“Dixie De La Tour’s scandalous, over-the-top Bawdy Storytelling series” – SF Weekly
Winner of the SF Weekly’s 2013 Best of San Francisco, the LA Weekly’s 2013 Best Of Los Angeles & 2 Time Winner of the SF Bay Guardian’s Best of the Bay Award
When & Where
Bawdy Storytelling ("The Moth for Pervs" - LA Weekly) is America's Original Sex+Storytelling series featuring Real People & Rockstars sharing their bona fide sexual exploits, live onstage. This award-winning performance series is currently monthly in San Francisco and Los Angeles, & expanding to new cities every day. Storytellers are an eclectic mix of authors, sex educators, poets, comedians and actors - along with real people just like YOU who have submitted their stories online and were chosen for their panache and sense of (mis)adventure.
Wanna get Bawdy? Contact Dixie@BawdyStorytelling.com