Basic Duties & Responsibilities of a Nonprofit Board in New York State [Webinar]
Basic Duties & Responsibilities of a Nonprofit Board in New York State
Lunch & Learn Webinar Presented by Audrey Grifel, Capacity Building Advisor, Mid-Hudson Valley Office
As a member of a nonprofit Board of Directors in New York State an individual assumes responsibility for ensuring that the organization advances the vital role and capacity of the nonprofit sector in civil society by supporting and giving voice to state and regional associations of community-based organizations and other nonprofits.
A board member is bound by:
- The Duty of Care: This duty is fulfilled when a board member acts in good faith in all dealings with, and on behalf of, the organization.
- The Duty of Loyalty: This duty involves acting in the best interest of the organization at all times.
- The Duty of Obedience: Nonprofits have an obligation to operate in a manner that fulfills the stated purpose or mission as defined in the articles of incorporation, bylaws, application for tax-exempt status, and other official documents.
This session provides a critical orientation to Board Members with an overview of the governance responsibilities, knowledge and skill areas needed to be an effective board member.
What will be covered?
- Overview of legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Policy and monitoring functions of the Board
- Accountability and using a committee structure effectively
This webinar will also cover the critical role of the Executive Director and his or her relationship to the Board President and Board Leadership. We encourage you to register a member of your board, preferably your board president, for this very important webinar.
New York Council of Nonprofits, Inc. (NYCON)
Founded in 1927, NYCON is a 501(C)(3) membership-based, mission-driven, statewide association of diverse charitable nonprofit organizations. With over 2,800 members, we work to build the capacity of nonprofits and communities to enhance the quality of life through responsive, cost-effective service. Our mission-based activities are enhanced by two subsidiary corporations: Innovative Charitable Initiatives, Inc., and Council Services Plus.