Jersey City, NJ - 8 HSW and 1 GBCI Credit Hours
- Business & Professional
- Saint Peters University - Dinneen Hall - McIntyre Conference Center - FREE PARKING, Jersey City NJ
'Continuing Education & Networking Event'
April 10, 2014
7 AIA HSW Credit Hour
PARKING: Parking instructions will be sent to you prior to the event.
7:45 AM Registration
Morning pastries, fruit and coffee
8:00 - 9:00 AM (on time BG)
Use of Snow Retention Devices: Science or Fiction?
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: ISF07A
AIA Provider: InfoSpec Inc.
Presenter: Harry Lubitz
Discover the art and science of snow control and its effects, such as snow migration on rooftops of structures. Learn about the common myths and misperceptions regarding snow retention, as well as the do's and don’ts of retention devices, product selection, and site specifics.
1. Describe the history of snow control on rooftops
2. Explain when and where you should or shouldn't use snow retention devices
3. List the common myths and misperceptions regarding snow retention
4. List the common pitfalls of product selection and site specifics
5. Describe how to value engineer snow retention systems without sacrificing performance
6. Explain the proper selection and specification of snow guards
9:10 - 10:10 AM (on time BG)
Roof Gardens, Basic Design Principles
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course Number: 00G106
Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: Richard Stever
This one-hour course includes the learning of proper design principles for Roof Gardens.
Subjects include proper membrane selection and application, drainage principles, plant
selection, methods of vegetation and the performance advantages of Roof Garden
implementation. Attendees will also learn various methods of Roof Garden installation as
well as advantages and disadvantages of traditional and modular Roof Garden systems.
10:20 - 11:20 AM (on time BG)
Solving Architectural Noise Problems
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: 003696
AIA Provider: International Cellulose Corporation
Presenter: Chuck Smith
1. Increase awareness of the need for acoustics before occupancy.
2. Dispel the myths about cellulose as a finish product.
3. Visible and Invisible Finishes.
4. Acoustics & Economics - Light Reflectivity, Creature Comforts, Worker
Productivity & Energy Savings.
5. Life Safety Communications.
11:30 - 12:30 PM (on time BG)
Polished Concrete Defined-Understanding the Process for Better Design and Implementation
1 AIA HSW Credit Hour | AIA Course #: CPAACE002
AIA Provider:Concrete Polishing Association of America
Presenter: Jim Cuviello
This course is designed to offer an in-depth look at the means and methods used to produce
polished concrete flooring. Attendees will be able to define the different types of polished concrete
(bonded abrasive, burnished, hybrid, or surface coated concrete) and identify when and where
applications are best specified. Attendees will gain an understanding of the types of equipment,
chemicals and diamond tooling required to complete the various types of polished concrete.
Attendees will also be able to ascertain the life cycle and sustainability of each type of polished
concrete when specified in the proper environment.
1. Attendees will be able to define the different types of polished concrete and discern when and
where to specify each specific type based on a commercial project example.
2. Attendees will be able to identify the pros/cons of each type of polished concrete's sustainable
design and how to enhance design solutions that maximize long term benefits using polished
3. Attendees will be able to calculate the estimated life cycle cost of each type of polished concrete
based on the course life cycle sample estimate form.
4. Attendees will be able to identify possible health and safety concerns related to each type of
polished concrete and specify best practices / procedures to minimize environmental and
12:30 PM Lunch Sponsored by Greg Trimboli with Dynamic Closures
1:30 - 2:30 PM (on time BG)
Improving Energy Efficiency and Air Quality with HVAC Duct Sealants
1 AIA HSW/SD CE Hour | AIA Course #: ICH23A
Sponsor: Carlisle Hardcast
Presenter: Tim Eorgan
Describe environmental concerns over energy issues and explain how HVAC air leakage contributes to these concerns. Describe the reasons why sealing ductwork is critical to maximizing HVAC system efficiency. Explain duct sealing options and list the advantages of each. Describe how sealing ductwork can improve indoor air quality.
2:40 - 3:40 PM (on time BG)
Drafting an Understanding of Polished Concrete
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: AFP1
AIA Provider: Advanced Floor Products (RetroPlate) Provider number J550
Presenter: Deke Rife
Today we can give an old worn-out concrete floor “NEW” life through the polishing
and densification process. This course is designed to give an overview of that process,
the marriage of concrete densification of and grinding and polishing concrete with diamonds. “Polished Concrete”.
3:50 - 4:50 PM (on time BG)
Updated - Steep Sloped Premium Stone Coated Metal Roofing Systems- July 2013
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: IMU07E
AIA Provider: Metals USA
Presenter: Jack Libby
This course will better inform the designer on how to properly specify stone coated metal
roofing system. Through a thorough review of installation procedures, cost breakdown and
system benefits to any project, the design professional attending this educational presentation will be able to knowledgably specify a stone coated metal roofing system into their next project.
1. Define stone coated metal.
2. Depict how stone coated metal roofing is manufactured.
3. Explain the benefits of stone coated metal roofing.
4. Describe the installation methods for stone coated metal roofing systems.
5. Discuss how specifying stone coated metal roofing systems may contribute towards a
project earning LEED certification.
6. Describe how stone coated metal roofing systems are energy efficient & Energy Star
7. Explain the cost benefits of stone coated metal roofing systems.
'This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes'
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email email@example.com.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.
In order to purchase these tickets in installments, you'll need an Eventbrite account. Log in or sign up for a free account to continue.