Bummer! Sales have ended.
Unfortunately, tickets for this event are no longer on sale.
Join the BabyMaker Party
Make your baby's first website or your first baby website. Don't have a baby in your life? That's okay, this "baby" doesn't have to be a real baby – let's make a website for whatever it is you love. We'll be using the Mozilla Webmaker tool Thimble to "remix" a baby website, along the way teaching some basics of coding with HTML and CSS. This event is FREE. Just spend a couple hours of your evening being silly and learning something new with other awesome, baby-lovin' people.
What will we do? Learn how to remix and create your own website with HTML and CSS. We'll be designing in the browser based on a template, so no need to prep anything beforehand.
Who should come? Adults who want to make their own website, especially if it's baby-related. Moms, dads, grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, artists, musicians, dog and cat-owners – all are welcome. Kids, who are accompanied by an adult, are also welcome. Let us know if you have any special needs.
Skill level required: None! This event may be most useful for beginners, but even experts will discover a fun new way of creating web content.
What to bring:
- A laptop. If you don't have one or can't borrow one, please send us a request by Monday, August 26th, and we will do our best to get you set up with one for the evening. Unfortunately tablets and smart phones won't work for this event.
- (optional) Digital assets to customize your baby make (could be a photograph, drawing or video). Have a flickr, instagram or facebook account? We can grab something from there. You could even write a letter to the baby in your life, so you have some text to work with.
Check out some other fun "makes" that have been created using Thimble.
- Keep Calm, Baby Style, by @amira - https://amira.makes.org/thimble/keep-calm-baby-style
- PNG Moustache by @ryanfeeley - https://ryanfeeley.makes.org/thimble/png-moustache
- My Movie Poster, by @mozilla: https://webmaker.makes.org/thimble/movie-poster-hack
- This is my art, by @nazgamos: https://briannamanns.makes.org/thimble/this-is-my-art
It's a Mozilla Maker Party!
The BabyMaker Party is a part of Mozilla's global Maker Party, a celebration of making cool stuff and teaching others taking place from June 15 - September 15. Make something with the web, then share it with the world. You can also host your own event to teach the people you care about how to make something with the web.
Questions or Comments? Want to stay in the loop?
The BabyMaker Party is organized by Hive Toronto and Cassie McDaniel (see host description on the right). Follow Hive on Twitter @HiveToronto and Facebook at facebook.com/hivetoronto to stay in the loop for future events.
*** I'll be giving away copies of my children's book, Beto's Burrito, for all attendees! It's a lovingly crafted, locally-printed, gentle story with colourful illustrations for kids of all ages. We'll likely have some other Mozilla giveaways as well. Tell your friends!