AUSL Institute Series - Oct 2013
AUSL Institute Series
To share our approach to transforming chronically low-performing schools, AUSL has designed a series of 3-day Institutes to equip participants with knowledge and resources to catalyze school improvement efforts. Each institute will include a mix of workshops, school visits, and networking with leaders in school turnaround from AUSL and organizations around the country. All participants will receive access to AUSL's resources and tools for school improvement which have been developed and refined over the past decade. Join us for this powerful learning opportunity!
Building Positive School and Classroom Culture
Dates: Wednesday, October 9 - Friday, October 11, 2013
PARTICIPANTS: AUSL Institutes are designed for district leaders, school principals and other administrators, teacher leaders, representatives from state agencies working with Race to the Top and School Improvement Grant initiatives, charter management and educational management organizations, lead partner organizations, and others interested in dramatic improvement of persistently low-achieving schools.
LOCATION: All sessions will be held at AUSL schools in Chicago, with specific locations to be announced prior to the session date.
SESSION OBJECTIVES: By the end of this institute, participants will:
· Understand AUSL’s approach to building a Positive School Culture in turnaround schools (focusing on school and classroom environment) by viewing examples in practice and learning how to use tools to support the development of positive school culture
· Learn about Action Against Adversity, AUSL’s approach to informing and engaging parents, community members, and partner organizations in the work of school turnaround to increase buy-in and leverage local resources to better meet the needs of students
· Create a plan for implementing ideas/tools learned at the Institute in your “home” context
· Expand your network of support by learning alongside and collaborating with colleagues engaged in similar work across the country
START AND END TIMES: Sessions will run from 8a-7:30p on Wed, 8a-4p on Thurs, and 8a-2p on Friday with morning and afternoon breaks. Please advise us if you will arrive late or depart early on any of the three days. We will provide breakfast and lunch all three days and a networking dinner on Wednesday.
LODGING: AUSL has a room block with the La Quinta flagship property in downtown Chicago (http://www.laquintachicagodowntown.com):
- Guest Room Rate: $199.00 plus tax. Reservations must be made prior to Friday, September 20, 2013 to receive this rate.
- To reserve at this rate, call 1-866-527-1498 and refer to the Academy for Urban School Leadership group. Reservations for this group rate cannot be made online.
Reservations made after Friday, September 20, 2013 will be subject to prevailing rate and accepted on a space available basis.
A valid credit card or deposit will be required by the individual in order to guarantee his/her reservation.
- Check In time is 3:00pm and Check Out time is 12:00pm
- Individuals are responsible for their own room, tax, parking, and incidental charges.
- Hotel is located about 0.5 mi away from the Monroe Blue Line stop (El from O'Hare) and 0.1 mi from the Washington/Wells Orange Line stop (El from Midway).
- Daily pick ups and drop offs to session sites will be provided from the Host Hotel.