NOTE: This class will be held at Copperhead Shooting Club- We will have a working lunch you can bring your own lunch or snacks and drinks or by drinks and water at the clubhouse.
9:00 am Class Begins
9:15 am Range Qualification
12:00 pm Working Lunch
2:30 pm Start Written Exam
3:00 pm Conclusion of Class
Copperhead Shooting Club
NOTE: Google Maps may take you past the range. Copperhead Shooting Club is located inside Hidden Falls Adventure Park.
Items to bring to the range:
- .32 or higher handgun, if you have one
- 50 rounds of ammunition
- Eye & ear protection
- Closed toe shoes
What to Expect During Your CHL Class:
Required Course Hours: New License 4-6 hours
Topics to be covered in class:
- Legal Requirements for a CHL
- Texas Law Pertaining to the Use of Force/Deadly Force
- Non Violent Dispute Resolution - Situational Awareness and Mental Preparation for Conceal Carry
- Safe Handling and Proper Storage of Firearms
Brief overview of Basic Firearms Use and Gun & Caliber Selection for Concealed Carry
It is required that each applicant take a written test that consists of 50 questions – multiple choice and true/false questions. A score of 70% is required to pass the classroom portion of class
It is required that each applicant participate in 50 round course of fire scoring a 70% or better to pass the range portion of class.
CHL-100 Course Completion Certificate
Once you have completed the required class hours, we will give you a CHL-100 to add to your packet to be sent to TXDPS for processing.
NEW APPLICANTS: Steps to Apply For Your CHL
These steps must be completed before you can submit your final application to DPS:
1. Go to DPS website and submit your online application: https://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/txapp/txdps/chl/. After you have paid the state fees, if any apply, you will need to print your receipt and the checklist. NOTE: The checklist contains the barcode number that you will need should you have to call DPS and you will need to mail it as part of the application packet. You will have one year to complete the remaining steps below or you will forfeit your application fee to Texas DPS.
2. Register for and take a CHL class. You must pass the written test and the shooting test. Once you have passed both sections of the class, Stellar Tactical will provide you a Completion Certificate (CHL-100).
3. Obtain two passport photos, only if you do not have a Texas Driver’s License. You can go to Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS, etc. to obtain photos. If you need to submit the photos, Stellar Tactical will provide you with the Photo Holder form, CHL-6. NOTE: As of June 2013, Students who have a current Texas Driver’s License do not need to submit photos or a Picture Holder Form.
4. Fingerprints: DPS NO LONGER ACCEPTS ROLLED-INK PRINTS. You must get your fingerprints taken at IdentoGo, (formerly L-1 Identity Solutions), operated by Morpho Trust USA. They are the sole provider of DPS-authorized fingerprint services. You MUST make an appointment for your fingerprint session with L1 they do not accept walk-ins. Go to the website: http://www.identogo.com/FP/texas.aspx or call 1-888-467-2080 to schedule an appointment. Your prints will automatically be submitted to DPS. This step can be done any time after you complete step 1.
5. Submit your packet to DPS with all necessary materials: Receipt/Checklist, CHL-100, photos, photo holder form. Your checklist may include additional items depending upon your own circumstances, such as proof of military status, court records for prior criminal history, proof of citizenship, etc.
DPS Customer Service Phone: 1-800-224-5744
When & Where
Stellar Tactical’s Mission is to provide the best training available in the Central Texas area for anyone seeking to get their CHL or anyone that will be adding firearms or Knives to their personal protection toolbox. Stellar Tactical offers real life defensive firearms training, advanced firearms training, self-defense, knife fighting and defense, and CHL and NRA classes. Group and Private training, lessons, and coaching available