Arduino for the complete newbie
Tuesday, March 8, 2011 at 7:00 PM - Friday, March 11, 2011 at 9:00 PM (CST)
Image courtesy of the Arduino Team
Calling all budding Arduinophiles!
Twin Cities Maker is offering a two-night, four-hour introduction to the Arduino, starting from absolute scratch.
This class will cover basic introductory topics to get you started with the Arduino:
- Installing the software
- Uploading programs and using the built-in serial terminal
- Terminology (functions, data types, libraries, etc)
- Using the online documentation, we will dissect a couple of the example programs and use what we learn to make a new program which does something new
This class will be taught assuming that the students have little to no programming experience but are familiar with basic computer usage and very basic electronics (Ohm's law, for instance); the electronics knowledge is not necessary but will be useful.
Students should bring the following to class:
- Solderless breadboard and jumper wires
- One or more LEDs*
- Two or more 330-ohm resistors*
- One 5k linear potentiometer*
- Recent generation Arduino (Uno or Deumilanove, preferably not Mega)
- Breadboard usable pushbutton*
- USB A-to-B cable
- Multimeter (not necessary but will be useful)
Items marked with a * above will be available for purchase in a kit for $15 (with many additional items) on the day of the class. The instructor will have Arduino Uno units available to purchase for $30 and USB cables available for $4.
A small number of PC workstations will be available (at least three) but it is suggested that you bring your own laptop if you can.
The class begins at 7:00 and runs until 9:00 on both Tuesday and Friday (Eventbrite is poor at handling multi-day events). Contact the instructor at mike.hord@gmail with questions.
When & Where
Twin Cities Maker
Twin Cities Maker is a workshop community in Minneapolis where you can Make, Share and Learn. Our classes are open to members and non-members alike.
For more information about Twin Cities Maker, including how to become a member, check out our main website.