Open to players at all skill levels in grades K-8. New players are encouraged. Everyone plays 5 games (no one is eliminated) with players matched against others of similar age and skill using the “Swiss System.” Tournament is unrated (results will not affect USCF ratings).
· First round at 10 a.m., later rounds ASAP. End time approximately 4 p.m.
Each player has 30 mins. for all moves.
· Sections: K, 1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-8, Advanced. For rule on who will advance, see http://bit.ly/Wd37nP. Sections may be changed based on registration.
· Awards: Trophies to top 6 finishers in sections with up to 20 players, top 8 if 20-30, top 10 if over 30. Team trophies to top 4 teams based on top 6 scores across all sections. Minimum team size is 4. Club teams allowed per USCF definition. Medals to all K’s.
· Sets will be provided; bring chess clocks if you have them.
Food available at site. Nut free snacks recommended for between rounds.
Registration and fees: Entry fee $10 by 04/08/2013 and $15 thereafter. Scholarships available.
· Non-District 112 students welcome. Max attendance is 150 (first-come, first served).
· Late registration at site 9:00 to 9:30 a.m. on day of tournament if space is still available.
Even if you have pre-registered, you must check in by 9:30 to play in the first round.
When & Where
Highland Park Scholastic Chess
Highland Park Scholastic Chess is a group of parents, chess club directors, coaches, after-school program coordinators and PTO/PTA representatives committed to building high-quality chess programs for elementary and middle school students in Highland Park. Our goal is to make quality instruction available to all students regardless of need.