Fixed-fee Subscription Billing for Sophisticated Legal Services
PRESENTATION: Smithline PC converted from the hourly billing model to fixed-fee subscriptions six years ago. This presentation explains how they made the switch and what it has meant for them in terms of client satisfaction, employee retention, firm growth and profitability. Todd Smithline will also provide a few tips for you to consider when converting your own practice to fixed-fee.
GUEST SPEAKER: Our guest speaker, Todd Smithline is the principal of Smithline PC. Smithline PC helps software, Internet and device companies with the deals that relate to how they create and exploit their IP-based products and services. The firm provides its services on a fixed-fee monthly subscription basis. Clients of the firm include Adobe, Atlassian, Facebook, StubHub, Tableau and Trimble. The firm has five attorneys and is located in San Francisco, California. For more information about the firm: www.smithline.com
Before founding Smithline PC, Todd was General Counsel of Marimba, Inc., a publicly-traded enterprise software company and later Vice President of Business Affairs & Legal for Shockwave.com, one of the first online hubs for casual games.
Todd also teaches at the U.C. Berkeley School of Law. You may contact Todd at firstname.lastname@example.org
AGENDA: Thursday, October 24th, 2013
11:30 – 11:45 Registration and networking
11:45 - 12:15 p.m. Lunch
12:15 - 1:15 p.m. presentation
1. What are your clients buying?
- Are you in the business of providing solutions or selling hours?
- Is your fee model aligned with your services model?
2. Why not the billable hour? (A brief recap)
3. What does a true fixed-fee arrangement look like?
4. How do you set the fee?
- Defining scope and framing the discussion.
- Creating a new type of ongoing communication with your clients.
5. How does it all work out?
- A peek at the results of moving to fixed-fee in terms of profits, client satisfaction, employee retention and growth of practice over six years.
6. Sounds great, but this will never work for me.
- Overcoming objections, starting with your own.
- It’s coming anyway.
7. Can I see your engagement letter?
1:15 - 2:00 p.m. Stay for networking and questions
REGISTRATION: Please register to allow appropriate seating. To cancel, or if you have any questions, please contact me (Irene) at "Contact the Host" in the right hand organizer box. Your fee includes the cost for lunch, parking and MCLE presentation.
PARKING: Parking is easily available in the restaurant parking lot.
MCLE: This session is provided by the IT Law Group, an approved Multiple Activity Provider and is eligible for one hour of MCLE credit from the State Bar of California (no ethics, No elimination of bias, No substance abuse).
MCLE Sponsor: We are grateful to Francoise Gilbert and the IT Law Group for providing the MCLE opportunity. http://www.itlawgroup.com/
Thank you and hope to see you there,
When & Where
Irene Blumenkranz - Organizer