Colonel G. G. Green was a larger than life millionaire from New Jersey who made his immense fortune in patent medicines and remedies. In 1888 the Green family headed to Altadena to summer in their newly completed house on the southwest corner of Mariposa Street and Santa Rosa Avenue. He built a lovely carriage house with a castle-like cobble stone tower to take care of his nine horses and garage his multiple carriages. Green spared no expense in landscaping the property. Although the house was sold about 1910, the Greens returned to the area each summer staying at Green's spectacular Green Hotel in Pasadena (now called the Castle Green.) The house was razed in the 1960s to make way for the Altadena library. However the carriage house remains. Never before open for a tour, it is now a residence hidden among some of the full grown garden specimens Green planted in the mid 1880s.
Tickets include a tour of the carriage house and refreshments.
When & Where
Altadena Historical Society
Altadena Historical Society, a non-profit organization, was founded to gather, preserve, and make available information about the people, places and events that have shaped the community in the past. Founded in 1935, we are one of the oldest volunteer organizations in the community.