Please join AIA|LA and 2012 President Stuart Magruder, AIA as we coordinate a series of candid discussions with prospective Mayoral Candidates for the City of Los Angeles. Moderated by Los Angeles City Planning Commission President, Bill Roschen, FAIA and Los Angeles Times Architecture Critic, Christopher Hawthorne, the forums will serve as an opportunity for a diverse constituency to learn more about each candidate's vision for the future of our city and the actions they will take to ensure we get there.
While environmental and economic sustainability, resource conversation, enhanced mobility and access, community health, social justice and planning for complete communities are all integral tenets of architecture, we'd like to evolve the conversation beyond those holistic fundamentals. We'd like to talk about what our city looks and feels like! What's it like to experience Los Angeles and how can we build upon that experience to ensure we have a city that remains economically competitive with other world-class destinations?
AIA|LA will ask each mayoral candidate provocative questions centered on the importance of architecture, urban design and city planning and create a score card to highlight and contrast each candidate's response.
If you care about Los Angeles and want to contribute to the dialogue that will move our city forward with an emphasis on the importance of design excellence, then come spend your Friday nights in February and March with AIA|LA and get to know the mayoral candidates!
Each forum will be held at the Ron Deaton Civic Auditorium at the LAPD Headquarters Building in Downtown, Los Angeles.
- Friday, February 17 (7pm - 9pm) - Mayoral Candidate Jan Perry
- Friday, February 24 (7pm - 9pm) - Mayoral Candidate Austin Beutner
- Friday, March 2 (7pm - 9pm) - Mayoral Candidate Kevin James
- Friday, March 9 (7pm - 9pm) - Mayoral Candidate Wendy Greuel
- Friday, March 16 (7pm - 9pm) - Mayoral Candidate Eric Garcetti
- More candidates to be added, potentially
Thanks to the generous contribution of MATT CONSTRUCTION, all of the AIA|LA Mayoral Candidate Forums are free to both AIA Members and Non Members, but advance registration is required for each individual forum.
- Numerous parking meters available along Main Street and on Los Angeles Street
- $6 lot at the corner of Los Angeles Street and 2nd Street
- $6 lot on Main Street b/w 2nd and 3rd
- $6 lot at the corner of Spring Street and 2nd
- For an alternative to parking, Civic Center Metro station is 2 blocks away at Hill and 1st
Location: (confirmed for each discussion, subject to change)
Ronald F. Deaton Civic Auditorium
LAPD Police Administration Building
100 West First Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
For more information, please contact:
Will Wright, Hon. AIA|LA
Director, Government & Public Affairs
AIA Los Angeles
3780 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 800
Los Angeles, CA 90010