Presenting "Adult Hockey Camp, Part II" at Skokie Skatium on Sunday, August 24th from 2pm-6pm led by Coaches Don Granato, Matt Smith and Mark Bayers!
Due to popular demand and the success of our first camp this past June, we are having a second camp while coach Don Granato is still in town. This will be a half-day immersion camp for adults, both novice and intermediate players, the first-of-its kind (well.. second) in the Chicago area. Coach Don Granato (Head Coach, USA Hockey National Team Development Program), a Downers Grove native, will be on hand to help lead (Click here for more info on Coach Granato). Coach Granato is one of the best in the business, working with the top American players in the country who are part of USA Hockey's National Team Development Program located in Ann Arbor, MI. Patrick Kane and Brandon Saad were part of this elite program when they were in high school.
The Adult Hockey Camp will consist of three key activities and be divided into two groups (Beginner and Intermediate). Groups will rotate On-Ice and Off-Ice activities.
1 On-Ice Session (Each Group)
- Power skating and skills, dynamic drills and small area games will be led by Coach Don Granato and Assistant Coach Matt Smith.
1 Off-Ice Hockey Specific Workout (Each Group)
- Strength and conditioning focused on hockey-specific core exercises will be led by Mark Bayers (See Coach Mark's bio: www.FullStrengthPerformanceTraining.com).
1 Off-Ice Film Session (Each Group)
- Coach Don Granato and Matt Smith will break down key concepts and strategies such as defensive zone coverage/positioning, support on the breakout, puck pressure/fore-checking, special teams, etc.
Hockey is a dynamic, demanding sport. Take your game to the next level and learn how to train to compete, not just participate and go through the motions.
We hope to see you on the ice (again)!
- The Adult Hockey Camp Team
When & Where
Don Granato, Matt Smith and Mark Bayers
Coach Matt Smith's bio:
- USA Hockey Level IV certified coach
- Chicago Jets Hockey Club: Hockey Director (2007 to May 2012) and Head Coach (1997-99 and 2002 to May 2012).
- Responsible for all hockey programming, both on and off ice, for ten youth travel ice hockey teams (ages 6-14) participating in the Northern Illinois Hockey League (NIHL)
- Intern coach USA Hockey National Team Development Program Boys Select U-17 Camp – St. Cloud, MN (July 2008) – two players on the team drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks
- Helped lead the Spirit of Chicago Pee Wee Selects team in prestigious Lions Cup Tournament – Huddinge, Sweden (March 2010)
- Partnered with the Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA) to provide annual workshops for coaches and parents – one of the first youth hockey organizations in Illinois to do so
- Played four years (1991-95) of varsity hockey at Lawrence University (NCAA Division III); captain of the team senior year
- Minor instructor at CAN/AM and Stars Hockey Camps (Rockford, IL and Guelph, Ontario) during summers of college (1991-95 and 1997)