ABC's of Hydroponics for the Home Garden
Saturday, November 2, 2013 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM (EDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Instructor: Bob Hochmuth, Multi-county Extension Agent, UF/IFAS Suwannee Valley Agricultural Extension Center, Live Oak, Florida.
Introduction- “The State of Hydroponics in Florida”
- Do you need a greenhouse or other protected structure?
- Advantages and disadvantages of various hydroponic production systems
- Systems using a soilless media (containers and media choices)
- Media choices (coconut fiber, perlite, vermiculite, composted pine bark, rockwool etc.)
- Containers for media (upright bags, lay-flat bags, Dutch buckets, nursery pots, open troughs, vertical systems)
- Nutrient solution based systems (nutrient film technique, floating systems, aeroponics)
- Selecting crops and varieties for hydroponics
- Starting your own transplants
- Crop culture for common vegetable and herb crops
- Irrigation systems
- Nutrient solutions, mixing and measuring
Check in starts at 8:30 AM
For more information please contact (727) 582-2562
When & Where
UF IFAS Extension Urban Horticulture
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) is an Equal Opportunity Institution authorized to provide research, educational information, and other services only to individuals and institutions that function with non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political opinions, or affiliations. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Cooperative Extension Service, University of Florida, IFAS, Florida A&M University Cooperative Extension Program, and Boards of County Commissioners Cooperating.