Alvord, Baker & Associates, LLC
Diagnostic and Treatment Issues for Children and Adolescents Who Vary
in their Gender Interests
Edgardo Menvielle, MD and John Strang, PsyD
This workshop meets the APA Cultural Competence Requirement
Check-in between 8:30-8:45am
Workshop: 8:45am - 12:00 noon
This workshop will provide an overview of the clinical issues relevant to children and adolescents with gender presentations and/or sexual orientations that vary from the norm. A developmental perspective will be emphasized as clinical presentations and therapeutic needs typically evolve with maturation. The relevant evidence for the treatment of gender dysphoria in children and adolescents will be summarized, as well clinical issues related to comorbid developmental issues (i.e., autism spectrum disorders, AD/HD). The rationale for family centered interventions will be explained in detail and clinical examples will be given.
At the end of this presentation, the participant should be able to:
- Identify the common comorbidities of gender non-conformity and AD/HD or ASD
- Recognize the range of clinical issues these comorbidities create
- Summarize the therapeutic and assessment approaches for these children
- Clinically address the psychological issues and developmental challenges faced by gender non-conforming and transgender youth
Edgardo Menvielle, MD, MSHS is an Associate Professor of Psychiatry at the George Washington University and staff Psychiatrist at Children’s National Medical Center. Since 1998, he has focused on childhood and adolescent gender and sexuality issues. He co-founded a group for parents of children with gender variant behaviors in 1999 which grew into the Gender and Sexuality Development Program at Children’s National Medical Center.
John Strang, PsyD is a faculty neuropsychologist in the Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders at Children’s National Medical Center, where he specializes in the assessment and treatment of children, teens, and young adults with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and their families. His research focuses on the development of school-based interventions to help children with ASD increase their executive function skills, including flexibility, planning, and organization. Dr. Strang is also part of the Gender and Sexuality Development Program at Children’s, and works with children and teens on the autism spectrum and with other developmental differences who struggle with issues of sexual development, including gender identity.
Veronica Raggi: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Continuing Education: 3 credits
- Alvord, Baker & Associates, LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Alvord, Baker & Associates, LLC maintains responsibility for each program and its content.
- Alvord, Baker & Associates, LLC is authorized by the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners as a sponsor of Continuing Education. A certificate for Category 1 credits will be awarded at the completion of each workshop
If Alvord,Baker & Associates, LLC decides to cancel the class, all registrants will receive a full refund. Through Friday, April 26th, registrants who need to cancel for any reason will receive a refund of 90% of their registration fee. Cancellation requests must be received no later than April 26, 2013 either by phone 301-593-6554 x14 or by email: email@example.com . Be sure to include your name, address and contact information as provided in your registration information. No refunds will be issued for any reason afterApril 26, 2013.
Have questions about AB-Diagnostic and Treatment Issues for Children and Adolescents Who Vary in their Gender Interests?
Contact Alvord, Baker & Associates, LLC