A winter weekend of singing and good eating with The Unthanks by the sea in Northumberland.
Workshops, walking and singarounds with Rachel and Becky, and good food to write home about by Adrian. Cosy pubs, great food, good cheer and maybe even an exclusive mini concert from various Unthank members. Come and spend a weekend with The Unthanks on the Northumberland heritage coastline. Informal singing and group workshops, surrounded by countryside with a sweep of sea views towards the Farne Islands, Bamburgh Castle and with the Cheviot Hills as a backdrop. The all-inclusive weekend takes place under one roof in a brand new bunkhouse, reclaimed from a once derelict farm building, with under-floor heating and 10 minutes walk from the fishing village of Seahouses. The accommodation might be cheerfully humble, but with full board eating by Adrian McNally - Unthanks pianist and Rachel’s husband, the hospitality should be an event in itself! Rachel and Becky Unthank are not just performers. They have many years of experience in giving workshops.. from taking adult choirs to school workshops, singing in swimming pools with babies to taking an hour’s singing workshop for 1000 people in a Spanish city square! From the serious business of passing on tradition to the simple joy of singing, The Unthanks are committed and passionate about teaching, sharing and living folk song. “There is something heart-lifting and life affirming about the shared experience of singing,” says Rachel. “I’m hoping that this weekend will be a wonderful opportunity for a group of people to get together, enjoy each others company and have a good old sing.” The onus of the weekend is on inclusivity. You do not have to be an experienced singer to attend or enjoy the weekend. For us, singing is about joining in.
Friday 3-5pm: Arrival – Sunday 12pm Close.
The weekend will include:
• singing workshops
• harmony singing
• a sing in the pub at The Olde Ship Inn by the harbour (CAMRA pub)
• gentle coastal walks
• a short performance by members of The Unthanks
• evening meal on Friday, 3 meals on Saturday and a brunch on Sunday.
Accommodation: Bunkhouse sleeping 32 in 8 rooms, each sleeping 4 people in 2 single beds and bunk beds. Rooms will be single sex, unless you want to book a room as a family or group. There are also 5 wigwams – fully insulated and heated wooden wigwams that sleep up to 5. 5 is very cosy! You can find out more about the place from http://www.springhill-farm.co.uk/bunkhouse/ If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com, NOT the farm.
Travel: Before the event you'll be sent a link to a message board on which you'll be able to exchange travel offers and requests with other attendees, eg. car share, lifts from Seahouses, taxi shares etc. If travelling by public transport, the closest railway stop with easy bus transfers is Berwick Upon Tweed. Buses run daily to Seahouses with the nearest bus stop being in North Sunderland which is the top end of Seahouses half a mile from Springhill.
*Please note: the workshops are intended for adults, but if you have a sensible child who wants to sing and you feel will cope well on an adult singing weekend, we are not going to put a minimum age limit on your child’s maturity.
Price Per Person: £250 (inclusive of VAT, includes workshops, accommodation and meals)
* please note, on some weekends, we get the opportunity to take you to Bamburgh Castle to sing in The Great Hall (it's not a performance in front of anyone, it's just an experience!). If this is possible on your weekend, a £6 entry fee will be required on the day. We supply coach travel back from the castle inclusive in your weekend ticket price.
- Cancellation with 3 months notice or more carries no penalty other than a £50 administration fee
- Cancellation with less than 3 months but more than 1 months notice incurs a £150 admin/cancellation fee
- Cancellation with less than 1 months notice incurs the full fee unless we are able to resell the ticket(s), in which case a £150 admin/cancellation fee will apply
- Cancellation in special or sensitive circumstances will be considered but is at the discretion of The Unthanks.
- Cancellation in the unfortunate event of bad weather making your attendance impossible cannot be accepted. Cancellation due to bad weather is so late that we have already incurred the costs of your stay, without being able to recoup them ourselves. Cancellations due to bad weather are offered a £50 discount off a future weekend. The conditions of accepting non-attendence due to bad weather are at the discretion of The Unthanks.
- Cancellation of the event by The Unthanks due to unforeseen circumstances except bad weather will result in full refund.
Health and Safety:
- While every reasonable measure is taken to ensure your comfort and safety, The Unthanks are in no way responsible or liable for accidents, injuries, ill-health, lost or stolen property during the weekend, whether on or off Springhill Farm. By accepting these terms you are accepting responsibility for your own health and safety during the event.
Some Extra Details About Springhill Farm:
Please note, if you have any questions about the weekend, including the accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org NOT the farm.
With its breezy, seaside feel, the Bunkhouse is different to traditional backpackers style hostels. Newly built for 2010 reclaimed from a once derelict farm building. Come home after a days’ exploring to serviced, comfortable, clean rooms, under floor heating, a well- equipped communal living room and a fully equipped self catering kitchen.Additional Bunkhouse information:
• There are eight rooms, each with two singles and one bunk bed
• En suite shower facilities in each room
• No bedding or towels supplied you must bring your own
• Elevated terrace and BBQ area with seating
• Large communal sitting room with communal dining area
• Television and DVD player
• Wireless internet
• Electric Heating
• Fully equipped kitchen
• Secure bike storage
• Drying room
• Laundry Area
• Sleeping bag / towel hire
• Car parking facilities
• Children’s play area and picnic area
• Large grassed area for ball games
• Well-stocked information area
• 24 hour emergency contacts
Smoking is not permitted.Regrettably no dogs allowed inside the Bunkhouse.* we regret to report that there is no disabled access to the bunkhouse.
Find more information at http://www.springhill-farm.co.uk/bunkhouse/
When & Where