9/11 Unity Walk 2013: "From Different Paths, We Walk as One"
Sunday, September 8, 2013 from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM (EDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Registration begins at 12:00 pm at Washington Hebrew Congregation, 3935 Macomb St. NW at Massachusetts.
Join us from 12:00 - 1:30 for an open house showcasing organizations dedicated to interfaith understanding and initiatives. Doors open at 1:00 for Opening Ceremonies.
After opening ceremonies, all are invited to walk down Massachusetts Ave at their own pace, visit different houses of worship, engage in conversation with Faith Guides walking among you, and attend a variety of activities at congregations and parks along the way.
FREE Food - National Sikh Gurdwara will provide free, delicious Indian and Middle Eastern food!
- Shoe Drive - Bring gently used or new shoes to Washington Hebrew Congregation for those in need
- Trail Mix - Assemble trail mix bags to be distributed to shelters in DC
New service projects and activities this year:
- Dances - Observe or join dances set to interfaith music and chants
- Faith Guides - Walk with representatives of various faith traditions to learn and connect
- Discussion - Share in facilitated conversations around topics of interfaith understanding
- Gleaning - Prepare surplus produce for DC Central Kitchen and Captial Area Food Bank
Speakers this year include:
- Arun Gandhi (Grandson of Mahatma Gandhi, Nobel Peace Prize Winner)
- Sister Jenna (Director of Meditation Museum)
- Senior Rabbi Bruce Lustig (Senior Rabbi Washington Hebrew Congregation)
- Imam Abdullah Khouj (President, Islamic Center of Washington)
- And many more
Musical and performance guests including:
- Mosaic Harmony Chior (Representing 26 different faiths)
- DC Youth Poetry Slam
Host congregations include:
- Washington Hebrew Congregation
- Embassy Evangelical Christian Church
- National Sikh Gurdwara
- Washington National Cathedral
- St. Alban's Episcopal Church
- St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Church
- Soka Gakkai International
- Embassy of the Vatican
- Islamic Center of Washington
We can't wait to see you there!
When & Where
9/11 Unity Walk & Initiatives of Change
Every year, on the Sunday closest to the anniversary of 9/11, people of all faiths and no faith gather on Embassy row in Washington DC and walk together in Unity. Join us on September 8th for this inspirational and unique opportunity to learn about other faiths, enjoy free food, and participate in service projects which unite us.
Initiatives of Change, USA is part of a diverse global network with an 80-year track record of peacebuilding, conflict transformation and forging partnerships across divides of race, class, religion and politics.