4th Annual Veteran Town Games - Battle of the Branches
Saturday, June 21, 2014 from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (CDT)
YOUNG ENTREPRENEURS OF THE UNIVERSE (YEU)
YEU VETERAN INITIATIVES
4th ANNUAL VETERAN TOWN GAMES – BATTLE OF THE BRANCHES 2014
The Veteran Town Games - Battle of the Branches is a veterans and military block party and sports, games and trivia event, complete with food, fun, entertainment and a charity bash. We are bringing together all branches of the military, both able-bodied and disabled, that served or are serving in the military though war time or peace time, including retirees, student veterans, the National Guard and the Reserves up to OEF/OIF/OND active duty military who may be home on leave. Battle of the Branches is the largest Veterans and Military Block Party in Chicago. All men, women, teens, individuals and teams are invitedto compete for the 2014 Bragging Rights of "Who is Simply the Best."
The credit for establishment of this annual event and its development goes to Babette Peyton, Founder and President of the Young Entrepreneurs of the Universe (YEU) Veteran Initiatives. The first Veteran Town Games - Battle of the Branches was held on Saturday, October 29, 2011. In ensuing years, the Games have been held annually on the first Saturday after Father's Day, as a symbolic healing. Some of the activities are inspired by Command Sergeant Major Timothy Gilmore.
This is the 4th ANNUAL VETERANS/MILITARY BRANCH vs. BRANCH STRUT YOUR STUFF, WHO’S BEST?, KICKIN BUTT, SPORTS, GAMES, TALENT, PICNIC and CHARITY BASH developed by Babette Peyton, Young Entrepreneurs of the Universe (YEU) Veteran Initiatives. For additional information regarding the Veteran Town Games, contact email@example.com.
PURPOSE: To set a new tradition of uniting veterans and military of all branches – Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guards, Military Reserves, National Guard and Active Duty Military on Leave – all coming together in friendly sport and games competition, fun, entertainment, food, fellowship and resource networking. Serves as a charity fundraiser supported by ads in the newsletter, signage and event sponsorship. Funds raised will benefit St. Leo veteran tenants, alumni and YEU Veteran Initiatives.
FEATURING AT 12 NOON: "Crackerjacks" Brass Band - This is America's Band - The Great Lakes Navy Band.
EVENTS AND CONTESTS: Basketball Free Throw, Football Target Goalie Throw, Bean Bag Toss, Volleyball, Name that Military & Neighborhood Trivia, Shuffle Board, Bowling, Board Games Central (Cards, Chess, Checkers, Dominoes), Karaoke, Resource Tables, Arm Wrestling, Take it apart/Put it back together, Video/Photo and Writers Corner, Share Your Story (Bring a photo of you in your service uniform.), Comedy Korner, and Walk, Roll and Play in my shoes games - everyone in wheelchairs or blindfolded while playing (able-bodied and disabled together).
SPONSORS/SUPPORTERS: Catholic Charities of Chicago, Veterans Administration (VA), VA Vet Centers, St. Leo, Young Entrepreneurs of the Universe (YEU) Veteran Initiatives, Alderman Latasha Thomas (17th Ward), Greater Auburn-Gresham Development Corporation and the Chicago Park District.
ADDITIONAL VOLUNTEERS/SPONSORS/SUPPORTERS: NEEDED
When & Where
Young Entrepreneurs of the Universe (YEU) Veteran Initiatives
YEU Veteran Initiatives, partners and promotes job creation, business and economic development, housing, options and opportunities, cultural projects and programs for all veterans, with a special emphasis on service disabled veterans, to include national guard, reservists, and their families by using VA benefits, Congressional Laws and Presidential Executive Orders. Join us! Find your Dream Job/Career or New Contract/Sub-Contract or become one of our resource organizations, sponsors and/or volunteers.
1) "Wounded Ladies Warriors" Pilot Green Project; Connecting Lady Veterans to health care and wealth care.
2) "Samuel Parks and James Ellis Rural Housing and Economic Development Complex.
3) "Veteran Job Creation Innovation Center' and 'Veteran Business Success and Research Incubator"
Partnering 51%+ to Create Jobs Through Entrepreneurship & Contracts; Housing - All Green & All Accessible; YEU Veteran Initiatives utilizes unique sustainability project models by co-branding and/or partnering with public and private organizations, rural and urban at conferences, workshops, Expos, StandDowns, Job Fairs, Colleges, TV & Radio, Education; Training, Mentoring and Internships; Innovation, Teaming; Technology, Incubation Synergy, Research; Outreach and Promotion; Recognition and Awards; Special Events, Cultural, Arts and Sports including Adaptive Sports. YEU Veteran Initiatives is conscious of projects including minorities, the disabled and women. And, if there are at least 6 new jobs being created, YEU promotes using its special model training program; to include disabled veterans who cannot work a regular full or part time job in the project workforce, whether at the work sites or from a remote site including home, while not sacrificing quality, to provide those who have sacrificed an opportunity in a win-win situation. The Young Entrepreneurs of the Universe (YEU) Veteran Initiatives (for the young and young at heart) has partnered with the VA and others for all its events since its inception in 2005 and has successfully reached over 3,000 Veterans, National Guards, and Military Reservists. YEU is active in StandDowns, Job Fairs and special initiatives to promote outreach and access to underserved Veterans including the disabled at home, through our Wounded Lady Warriors Green Initiatives and other special initiatives to ”Help End Veteran Homelessness” as VA community partners. *Member – Illinois Joining Forces*
- YEU Veteran Initiatives 2014 Calendar, Ongoing Programs and Projects in Development (PID)
- 3/22 Chicago JROTC /YEU Community Service Learning & Mentoring Project Part 1 of 2
- 4/8/ 6th JBVAMC/YEU Veterans Money Smart Week Expo Partners Federal Reserve Bank Chgo
- TBA Chicago JROTC /YEU Part 2 CSL & MP developingPSAs for TV, Radio & Billboard AD
- Kickoff Competitive Scholarships for JROTC, College ROTC & SVOA & Women Veterans
- 5/ 1st Interfaith Memorial Honor Service/Celebration & Annual Survivors Benefits Seminar
- 6/14 Flag Day Women Veterans Leadership Awards Symposium, Wash DC (www.wvlas1.org)
- 6/21 4th YEU/St. Leo Veterans Campus, Veteran Town Games – Battle of the Branches
- 8/23 2nd YEU/St. Leo Veterans Campus, Music Festival & Mini Resource StandDown
- 11/5 since 2005 EPA 5 /YEU Veteran Small Business & Grant Opportunity Conference Chgo
- YEU sponsors two ongoing TV Shows and is always looking for guests on "Honoring Veterans First - Support, Health, Wealth and Heroes" and "Diversity in the Mix." ( Approx. 1 million viewers)
- PID – 60 Day Emergency Housing & Day Drop-in Center for Homeless & At-Risk Women Veterans
- PID -Samuel Parks, James Ellis…Rural Green Mixed Rental, Home Ownership, Economic, Arts and Sports (including Adaptive Sports with Olympic sizing) and Emergency Preparedness for area.