4th Annual Spring into Science Education
Monday, April 7, 2014 from 4:30 PM to 7:00 PM (EDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
DUE TO SNOW, THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL MONDAY, APRIL 7th, 2014!
The 2014 Spring into Science Education Expo Connects Local Teachers to Free and Fun Learning Opportunities
On Monday, April 7, 2014, EcoExpress.org, the Philadelphia Math + Science Coalition, and the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University are joining forces to present this special event for local educators.
The 4th Annual Spring into Science Education Expo is a FREE networking event and celebration for local educators. Educators of grades K through 12 will learn about inspiring resources and ideas that can be immediately brought back into the classroom!
Highlights of the Spring into Science Education include:
- Premiere of EcoExpress.org's STEM Careers Video Series
- Free Access to Dinosaurs Unearthed and the Butterfly Room
- Interactive workshops highlighting practical ideas to take back to the classroom
- Exhibits by Local Environmental and Science Education Organizations
Getting to Spring into Science Education:
Buses, trolleys, regional rain, and subways are easily accessible. Visit Septa.org to plan your route!
There are ample bike racks in front of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University. There is a bike lane on the parkway. Plan your bike route with Google Maps.
Discounted parking is available at the Sheraton Hotel, on 16th St. between Race St. and Vine St. (also accessible by 17th St.). Park up to 3 hours for $5.00 or all day for $8.00.
The Philadelphia Math + Science Coalition will be providing these discounted parking stickers during the event. The parking lot accepts payment as you leave the lot.
Discounted parking is also available at the lot at Broad St. and Noble St., just north of Callowhill St., for $6.50 a day.
When & Where
EcoExpress.org, the Philadelphia Math + Science Coalition, and City COHO
The mission of the Philadelphia Math + Science Coalition is to address the urgent challenge of preparing our youth to excel in mathematics and science by enhancing the quality of math and science teaching and learning in the Philadelphia public schools. (read less)
EcoExpress.org is a free online educational resource that is entirely dedicated to helping teachers in Pennsylvania make environmental topics come alive in the classroom.
Our engaging documentaries present the stories of local people who are creating environmental solutions. Each of these short documentaries features related teacher materials. Our Teacher Materials are aligned to Pennsylvania State Standards and Philadelphia School District Core Curriculum. This supplemental curriculum features discussion questions, homework suggestions, classroom activities and experiments, the science behind the video, and other resources.
The mission of the Philadelphia Math + Science Coalition is to address the urgent challenge of preparing our youth to excel in mathematics and science by enhancing the quality of math and science teaching and learning in the Philadelphia public schools.
The Coalition has six overarching goals:
- Increase the number of highly qualified math and science teachers in School District of Philadelphia schools, grades 6 – 12.
- Enhance the quality of pre-service math and science teacher preparation at partner universities and engage the universities and the School District in developing a well-articulated transition process between teacher preparation, hiring, induction and professional development.
- Enhance the quality of continuing professional development for current math and science teachers in grades 6 – 12.
- Develop and implement a program for industry professionals to enhance math and science instruction in grades 6 – 12 as volunteers.
- Identify instructional resources necessary for effective math and science teaching and learning.
- Communicate with the public in a multi-faceted way the need for all children to excel in math and science.