3rd Annual Ocean Park Ladies Open Non-Profit Tournament and Fundraiser
Saturday, September 13, 2014 from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (PDT)
Santa Monica, CA
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
- WHEN: Arrive at Ocean Park Beach at 8am. (YES, 8AM!) Check-in, goodie bags, and court assignments/announcements will conclude at 8:50am. GAMES START PROMPTLY AT 9AM. We need to adhere to our schedule and get you all off to the after party before you turn into pumpkins ;)
- WHERE: Ocean Park Beach in front of the northern Perry's Cafe in Santa Monica. You can't miss us. If you are unfamiliar with Ocean Park Beach, type "2400 Ocean Front Walk, Santa Monica CA 90404" into google maps. Park in the ALL DAY PARKING lot (not short term parking lot!) off of Bicknell Avenue (take Pico Blvd west, go left on Ocean Avenue, and make a right on Bicknell into a massive parking lot). Park as far south as possible in the parking lot. I believe parking is $10? You can also do free street parking if you're willing to park east of 5th street and walk a few blocks down. My favorite spot is on Strand and 5th street.
What is the Ocean Park Ladies Open?
The Ocean Park Ladies Open Tournament & Fundraiser ("OPLO") is a non-profit women's doubles beach volleyball tournament to benefit local causes. Hooray for contributing positively to our community!
Tournament History and Mission:
OPLO is an annual fundraising beach volleyball tournament hosted by local Santa Monica lady volleyballers who want to help support their community and promote healthy fun and athletic competition. All net proceeds are donated to either the maintenance of Ocean Park Beach volleyball courts, or to local non-profit organizations. In 2012, 100% of net proceeds were raised for volleyball court maintenance. The 2013 tourney saw a 70/30 split between funds raised to maintain volleyball courts, and proceeds raised for the the Boys & Girls Clubs of Santa Monica (with a special request that funds be used to promote sports and physical activity). In 2014, 100% of net proceeds will be donated to the Much Love Animal Rescue (http://www.muchlove.org), a local organization near and dear to our hearts that saves animals scheduled to be euthanized and finds them foster homes until permanent adoptions can be arranged.
Rules, Format, and Registration/Goodies:
Costumes are encouraged but not required! Traditionally, this has been a "Ladies Attire" tournament -- that is to say, fishnet stocking, babydolls, lacy tank tops or other feminine costumes worn over your normal swimwear. Costumes do not need to be worn throughout game play, but it certainly is a lot of fun! No nudity allowed, obviously! ;) Or, you could wear a one piece pajama set like Julianne did in 2013 (but that's a whole different world of hot!) :D
- REGISTER INDIVIDUALLY, NOT AS A TEAM. Women will be put into even pools of 8 ladies per court, and you will play 6 games during pool play with and/or against almost every gal in your pool.
- Pools will be randomly assigned based off of skill level to ensure the playing fields are level and fair. Email me (Megan) at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any specific pool requests and I will do my best to accommodate.
- Rally-scoring, one game to 21, win by 2, cap at 24 points.
- PLAY-OFFS: Pools are being restricted to only 8 girls per court this year. Four girls will pool out of each pool based on number of wins, then by head-to-head and finally by points differential if there's still a tie breaker. The names of the girls who pool out are put into a hat, and fixed play-off teams are drawn at random. Yes, this could mean you draw the name of a weaker player than you... but it could also mean you pull the name of a much stronger player, as infamously happened with our local Nicole Ventura and pro Tarin Keith in 2013... the team made it all the way to the finals!
- Play-offs will be single elimination this year, as they were in 2012, so that we have sunlight for the final match :)
The OPLO allows for challenges in order to increase the fun spirit and camaraderie of our participants. With that said, I feel obligated to say this is a non-drinking tournament. NO ALCOHOL.
It is up to each individual court whether they choose to do challenges or not. The team that wins is allowed to deny a challenge request. Also please note that challenges extend the time of game play. Pool play is to be concluded promptly at 2:00p, so if your pool has been delayed by challenges, the remaining games will be capped at 15 points, with the risk of some games needing to be forfeited entirely. If you wish to do challenges, keep them simple and quick!
Challenges are small games or tasks for a losing team to do to remove points from the winning team's score once the losing team has lost the match. If a team has won a game by 6 or more points (ie, 21-15), the losing team can *ask* to do a challenge to remove 2 points from the winning team's score (bringing the match score down to 19-15) in order to try to make a comeback and win the game. Challenge examples are wheel barrel races, corn rolls, spank machines, etc. They are merely to promote fun over competition (and allow a team that got squashed to try to get their sh*t together and redeem themselves!) :P
Registration, Sponsorships and Donations
Sign-up indiviually here on EventBrite. Registration guarantees you a minimum of 6 games, and will include a goodie bag, professional donated photography services during the event, prizes for the winners, other goodies depending on what kind of sponsorships we can get, and heaps of awesome fun. I'll try to get some snack and beverage sponsors again like we had last year!
We rely on the generosity of local businesses for sponsored donations of prizes, giveaways, and other items such as water for the tournament. If you are interested in being a sponsor, please contact Megan at email@example.com to see how you can get involved and have your products/services promoted!
The target market you will reach is predominantly women in their 20s and 30s who are athletes and local beach residents. In addition to this, any foot traffic from people walking between the popular destinations of the Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach will pass by and believe me, there will be photos all over social media of our event. Our event also takes place in front of Perry's Beach Cafe, a popular stop by pedestrians for food and drink. Your signage will be in full view of these restaurant-goers.
- Remember that this is a FUNDRAISER for a sport and location that is near and dear to our hearts. Let's have fun, but be safe, clean, and abide by local laws. This is to benefit our home turf!
- We do have a permit to hold this event at OP, in case you're wondering :)
- Refund policy: Full refunds are allowed up until 5pm Friday Monday September 1, 2014. 50% of registration fee will be refunded between Monday September 1 and Friday September 5, 2014. NO REFUNDS WILL BE AWARDED AFTER FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 5th, 2014.
When & Where
To benefit our local beach volleyball courts and/or local non-profit organizations.